Thread poster: Elina Sellgren

Elina Sellgren  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:35
Member (2013)
Finnish to English
+ ...
Aug 15, 2013

I have been using Gmail so far as my 'business email'. However, just today Google's people themselves said that it would be misguided to think that anything in Gmail emails is confidential. Well, I had sort of realized that before but it's just so convenient... In the long run, however, using a gmail address may start to look unprofessional.

So now I'm wondering what would be a good option - should I stick to free email providers (probably not), or a provider that costs a bit? Any recommendations?

Direct link Reply with quote

Joshua Pepper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:35
French to English
+ ...
Don't panic Aug 15, 2013

This is a quote from the top comment on a related reddit thread:
http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/1kdamn/yes_gmail_users_have_an_expectation_of_privacy/
Responding to this article:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/14/4621474/yes-gmail-users-have-an-expectation-of-privacy

First of all, Google's argument isn't even about Gmail users, who are covered by Google's unified privacy policy. Google's argument is about non-Gmail users who haven't signed Google's terms of service. It's right there in black and white — the heading for the section literally starts with the words "The Non-Gmail Plaintiffs."

As I understand it, this whole thing has nothing to do with Gmail users and everything to do with people who email Gmail users. You have no 'expectation of privacy' that your e-mail will make it to someone without first being read / scanned by Google's servers. For better or worse, a lot of what Google provides for being an e-mail client requires that they have some idea of what is in the e-mail you're receiving.

Of course, a single comment doesn't mean much, or perhaps isn't very convincing, but my main point is:

Don't panic. At the moment, the media are sensationalising anything and everything they can get their hands on. The media don't understand half of what they're commenting on, and they get more things wrong than they do right. You are right to try to get informed, and be wary about things like this - there are definitely more 'private' email providers out there - but frankly I don't think that you need to abandon gmail just yet.

[Edited at 2013-08-15 08:20 GMT]

Antonio Arizcun  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:35
Member (2013)
English to Spanish
+ ...
proz.com hosting Aug 15, 2013

Hi there,

As you seem to be a proz.com member you have free hosting included, which includes 5 email addresses. You can set it up and then manage that email via gmail so nothing changes, except your email won't be a gmail.com one (you still get to keep that one). Alternatively, you can purchase a domain i.e. your name or company name.com, etc. for about 10 Euros and then you can have an email with your name on it. PM me if you need details on how to set up gmail for another address.

I hope that helps,

Regards

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I'm "renting" a gmx mail domain Aug 15, 2013

I use gmx and am quite satisfied with it. Many of these email providers offer the option of setting up your own e-mail domain for a modest fee, which I did, but access it via an e-mail program (Thunderbird) to store the correspondence on my computer more easily. gmx does not permit hosting of commercial websites (only personal ones), as that would put the company in competition with an affiliated company 1&1, a huge web hosting company. I therefore have a new web hosting service for my new website, and will migrate the other services to them eventually.

Edited for clarity.

[Edited at 2013-08-15 19:42 GMT]

Sandro Tomasi
Local time: 01:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Assume that your emails are not confidential Aug 15, 2013

The technological capabilities to spy on your emails are out there no matter what provider you use. And they are being used by both big brother (government) and big sister (corporate). Chances are that out of the billions of email messages sent per day, no one is going to particularly care about the content of your emails in particular.

Elina Sellgren  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:35
Member (2013)
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all Aug 16, 2013

Very helpful comments, especially Antonio, I didn't know about Proz hosting!

I suppose if the texts sent to translators are truly top secret, the end clients would use agencies able to provide their own means of sending and receiving texts, and when it's not that important they don't mind that Google's servers scan their property.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If security is an issue, just zip it Aug 16, 2013

ElinaSel wrote:
I suppose if the texts sent to translators are truly top secret, the end clients would...

If you want to protect a file from prying eyes, simply zip it with a password. Anyone can still see the file names but they can't see the content. If you want to hide the file names as well, simply place the passworded zip file in a folder, and then zip that folder (again with a password). Then anyone can only see the the name of the inner zip file, but nothing else. Make sure you don't include any files in the zip file whose exact content is known to outsiders, otherwise they can use it to crack the zip file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommend an email provider

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search