terms & conditions
Thread poster: pleasetranslate
pleasetranslate
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:47
English to German
Aug 21, 2013

Hi

a friend told me I should put my t&c under the emails I send to customers.

Do you put your t&c under your emails and does anybody knows what the law says?

I am completely confused.com please help

Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What for? Aug 21, 2013

Unless you are completely inflexible on everything, there is no point in self-rejecting at the outset.

I imagine you have fixed policies on some things, and are more flexible on others.

As I don't know yours, let's take mine on payment terms. While I don't accept payment terms beyond 30 days, ever, from anyone, there is plenty of flexibility between a prepaid order and then.

Early this year I realized that urgency surcharges, when justified, were mostly detrimental to my schedule. So in view of the abusively high interest rates in my country, I decided to prioritize jobs by payment terms: the shortest payment term gets served first.

So any client imposing their 30-day payment policy will be made aware that they shouldn't count on priority from me. Any faster payer will put their job to wait.

The magic thing about it is that if anyone wants to hijack me from whatever I'm doing to take their job first needs to prepay for the job. Nature takes care of it. Nobody else will be able to time-travel to the past and pay earlier when they have already done so. The beauty of it is that the bluntest client in a rush will understand that immediately, and won't argue.

Of course, all this takes very careful and accurate time management and scheduling.

Then there are payment methods. Some clients impose PayPal, which charges hefty fees from me, the payee, around 10% of the total involved. PayPal expressly forbids surcharging clients for using their system. What they can't do is to prevent me from giving discounts to anyone I like. So if the client is willing to use any other payment method, I'll give them those 10% PayPal would engulf anyway, as a discount.

I have more policies in place, however these two should give you the picture.

It's easy to see that if you have a developed set of flexible, yet well organized policies, aka terms and conditions, stating (and possibly explaining) them every time might be longer than the message itself.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:47
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Why? Aug 22, 2013

Why send that to anyone and everyone, unless there is a specific reason for it?

pleasetranslate
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
terms & conditions Aug 22, 2013

Hi and thank you for reply.

I am not sure why I should put the t&c under the emails. I send the clients the link to my website and there are the t&c, maybe I should mention in my emails that they could find my t&c on my website or what do you think???

Do you have a website and advice customers to have a look at your t&c???

Thank you once again

Aliseo Japan  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 16:47
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Anticipating is better sometimes Aug 22, 2013

Tina Vonhof wrote:
Why send that to anyone and everyone, unless there is a specific reason for it?

Perhaps because by doing so prospect clients cannot say that they didn't know your terms and conditions should anything happen afterwards. It may give you an advantage from a legal viewpoint, I think.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Explicit is always better Aug 22, 2013

Mario Cerutti wrote:
prospect clients cannot say that they didn't know your terms and conditions should anything happen afterwards. It may give you an advantage from a legal viewpoint, I think.

I doubt that would be true. If nothing has been said about T&C then they probably can't be expected to have read them, let alone have agreed to be bound by them.

When it becomes relevant, I give my clients my T&C and ask them to expressly agree to them in their next email. I'd hate to have 10+ lines of T&C stuck onto every email, some of which are one-liners. I believe that would give very much the wrong idea of our relationship, which should become fairly informal after the first few exchanges, while staying professional.

pleasetranslate
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Aug 23, 2013

Thanks a lot to all. Think I will do it like you Sheila to give the t&c when it becomes relevant. Will send them the link to my t&c and advice to look at them.

Thank you once again

Aliseo Japan  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 16:47
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
T&C link Aug 24, 2013

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Mario Cerutti wrote:
prospect clients cannot say that they didn't know your terms and conditions should anything happen afterwards. It may give you an advantage from a legal viewpoint, I think.

I doubt that would be true. If nothing has been said about T&C then they probably can't be expected to have read them, let alone have agreed to be bound by them.

My experience is different. For *prospect* clients (only, of course) I use to add a line to my signature with a link to my T&C page. It's there and very visible ("Please see our Terms and Conditions here"), right as you can find in many commercial websites today. This precaution has helped me sorting out an otherwise potentially complicate problem.

[Edited at 2013-08-24 08:29 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

terms & conditions

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search