Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Phone call about a translation job
Thread poster: Josephine Cassar
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:25
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Josephine Aug 22, 2013

Even if the lady confirmed that she has found your phone # at ProZ.com, this does not mean that it was the case. A quick 2-minute search allowed me to find your full contact details, including skype, landline and mobile at http://www.translationdirectory.com/translators/italian_english/josephine_cassar.php

Natalia

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Contact details Aug 22, 2013

Thank you for the tip, Natalie.

I just realized my phone info was posted there too for the whole world to see. I just edited and deleted both my phone numbers. New clients, unkonwn or potential clients, can reach me via email or via Proz.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Here Aug 22, 2013

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

has arrived when we automatically assume that any form of direct personal communication must be a scam.

Phone calls are generally one of several things:
1) individual direct client, perhaps referred by a mutual contact who might have had my phone number but not my e-mail handy
2) pushy PM from who hopes that getting me on the phone will make it easier to pawn that nightmare job that nobody wants off on me
3) regular client with an urgent job who wants to make that sure that I'm there before e-mailing the specifics.
4) PM from agency with horrible BB record who hopes that I'll quickly agree to the job on the phone before checking them out.

Those are actually valid points. Guess I'll need to keep them in mind. Thanks, Rudolf.

Here, it usually means that they want a response ASAP, want to know that you're available before mailing anything, or just want to chat, or they want to get a read on you and feel that listening to a voice will achieve that better than reading the written word.

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:25
German to English
+ ...
@Josephine Aug 23, 2013

Have you tried calling her back at her phone number? Or at least checked it out?

Trudy

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:25
Chinese to English
Bit off topic Aug 23, 2013

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:
Indeed a sad day...
has arrived when we automatically assume that any form of direct personal communication must be a scam.

Seconded. Some people like the phone, and others don't. Neither preference should be cause for suspicion.

Put me in mind of this, which I read yesterday:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/18/opinion/sunday/ta-ta-london-hello-awesome.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Once, in an experiment designed to illustrate Britons’ unease with the way Americans introduce themselves in social situations (in Britain, you’re supposed to wait for the host to do it), I got a friend at a party we were having to go up to a man he had never met. “Hi, I’m Stephen Bayley,” my friend said, sticking out his hand.

“Is that supposed to be some sort of joke?” the man responded.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Natalie Aug 23, 2013

Thank you all for your comments as it made see different points of view. We all react to things differently. Thank you Natalie, some fields were mandatory, and I would have preferred leaving them out. I have deleted my phone numbers-I did not know they were to be public, when email address wasn't/isn't on that site. I would have preferred my email address to be public, than my phone/mobile numbers. I have deleted them, thanks to you.
@ Trudy, I thought about it but want more than just phon
... See more
Thank you all for your comments as it made see different points of view. We all react to things differently. Thank you Natalie, some fields were mandatory, and I would have preferred leaving them out. I have deleted my phone numbers-I did not know they were to be public, when email address wasn't/isn't on that site. I would have preferred my email address to be public, than my phone/mobile numbers. I have deleted them, thanks to you.
@ Trudy, I thought about it but want more than just phone numbers, and as she did not want to send me an email via proz,seeing she had said she had found my number on Proz, I decided to let go and see if and what she says in her email-she did not send it yet and doubt if she understood me correctly, even if I spelt my email address, with every letter given as a name too. I understood her perfectly but was not sure she understood my address. I could not understand her name though.
Wait and see, but I do not count on it. Put it down to gaining experience, and maybe won't be apprehensive next time. Again, thank you all. Good day or good night as the case may be.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Phone call about a translation job

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »