Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Phone call about a translation job
Thread poster: Josephine Cassar

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:16
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 22, 2013

Hi all. Today I received a call from a person who asked me if I was a translator and could help translate a text from X to Y. I thought it very strange as my contact mobile/home number is visible only to me and I checked after too. I asked how she(it was a lady's voice)had got hold of my mobile number and why she would not send me an email via Proz. as I thought it was strange. anyway, to cut a long story short, she asked me for my email address, which was difficult to give on a line-don't think she understood as I have not received any text yet. I told her I have to see the text first, as I would not accept that the text was straightforward as she said. To tell you the truth, I found it very suspicious and especially when I checked to see if my details-phone and mobile numbers- were visible(they are not).
What do you think, as I think it is better to tell support staff. Luckily, she probably did not understand my email address but still, I did not like it. I wonder if anyone has ever been asked to translate via a phone call? I have the number, so the person did not try to hide it, but I could get the person's name over the mobile.
Thank you for your feedback.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 00:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mobile number Aug 22, 2013

Why do you think she got your number from Proz? Maybe it was in another portal, your email signature, some online post....

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:16
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mobile number Aug 22, 2013

I asked her, and she said it was via ProZ. and I asked her if it was visible, as I had known it was not, and after, I checked and it was only visible to me. Anyway, had she seen my mobile number from there, she would have been able to see my email address too. She did not want to send it via ProZ.-there are some who do not want to send via ProZ. and no problem.Just that I thought this was strange. I do not put my mobile on online posts either. But still, thank you as you are trying to fathom it.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 00:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Glitch? Aug 22, 2013

I see. Well, then maybe the is a glitch in your profile. I suggest you write Proz Support about it and ask them to check.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:16
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ask ProZ support to check Aug 22, 2013

Thank you. that's what I thought too, as I checked that this information was only available to me. I'll do that. I doubt she understood my email address though.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:16
English to Polish
+ ...
Standard in Poland Aug 22, 2013

Josephine Cassar wrote:

Hi all. Today I received a call from a person who asked me if I was a translator and could help translate a text from X to Y. I thought it very strange as my contact mobile/home number is visible only to me and I checked after too. I asked how she(it was a lady's voice)had got hold of my mobile number and why she would not send me an email via Proz. as I thought it was strange. anyway, to cut a long story short, she asked me for my email address, which was difficult to give on a line-don't think she understood as I have not received any text yet. I told her I have to see the text first, as I would not accept that the text was straightforward as she said. To tell you the truth, I found it very suspicious and especially when I checked to see if my details-phone and mobile numbers- were visible(they are not).
What do you think, as I think it is better to tell support staff. Luckily, she probably did not understand my email address but still, I did not like it. I wonder if anyone has ever been asked to translate via a phone call? I have the number, so the person did not try to hide it, but I could get the person's name over the mobile.
Thank you for your feedback.


... And probably everywhere else for old-fashioned people.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:16
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Don't worry - it's normal Aug 22, 2013

Hi Josephine,

I was also surprised when I received a phone call about a translation project out of the blue a few months ago. This was because normally clients just e-mail me about projects. But actually it turned out very good because I received a nice project.

Like you, I was also surprised how they found out my phone number since it wasn't visible on my Proz.com profile. They said they found it through LinkedIn, which they found from my Proz.com profile.

From now on I like receiving phone calls because they are usually from the best kind of clients.

Sarah


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:16
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You put my mind at rest Aug 22, 2013

To say the least. The thing is that I am very unsure if the person managed to understand my email address, so I am not counting too much on it. I never heard such a thing, that's why, so I wondered if it was a scam There is no way they could have got it through ProZ or Linked it as I did not put it there and my FB is private, if it has my number at all.
Thank you all. I'll see what comes up.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:16
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
CV? Aug 22, 2013

Did you ever have your CV online with your phone number in it, Josephine? Even if it isn't there now, someone could have got it at the time it was up, and I believe these things hang around for a while after you remove them from the web (in cache or something???).

Sounds odd to me, too, and I wouldn't be very happy about it even if it did turn out well in the end. Hope that's what happens to you.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:16
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CV? Aug 22, 2013

Thank you Sheila. I had one once-I no longer have it, but I don't think it had my contact numbers. Normally, I send my CV, not put my contact numbers public. I was also afraid as I was informed there was an attempt at getting at my account this morning and had to change my password. You kind of link the 2 together. On the positive side, the person did not hide the number she was phoning from, but it was difficult to ensure she had got my email address right. I sent a note to support just in case as my contact info is in grey, which means I should be the only one to be able to see it. Thank you so much

Direct link Reply with quote
 

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:16
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Indeed a sad day... Aug 22, 2013

has arrived when we automatically assume that any form of direct personal communication must be a scam.

Phone calls are generally one of several things:
1) individual direct client, perhaps referred by a mutual contact who might have had my phone number but not my e-mail handy
2) pushy PM from who hopes that getting me on the phone will make it easier to pawn that nightmare job that nobody wants off on me
3) regular client with an urgent job who wants to make that sure that I'm there before e-mailing the specifics.
4) PM from agency with horrible BB record who hopes that I'll quickly agree to the job on the phone before checking them out.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:16
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Rudolph Aug 22, 2013

That's exactly what I thought, especially the last one as she did not want to send email via ProZ. Anyway, she could have got my email as she got my mobile number. And why me? There are others far more experienced than me in that language pair. Is there a limit to how many times I can post in this thread, as I have a note to tell me I have posted 5 times already?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 00:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No rule about that Aug 22, 2013

Josephine Cassar wrote:

Is there a limit to how many times I can post in this thread, as I have a note to tell me I have posted 5 times already?


I don't think so, Josephine. I am not aware of any rule about that.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:16
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
I agree Aug 22, 2013

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

has arrived when we automatically assume that any form of direct personal communication must be a scam.

Phone calls are generally one of several things:
1) individual direct client, perhaps referred by a mutual contact who might have had my phone number but not my e-mail handy
2) pushy PM from who hopes that getting me on the phone will make it easier to pawn that nightmare job that nobody wants off on me
3) regular client with an urgent job who wants to make that sure that I'm there before e-mailing the specifics.
4) PM from agency with horrible BB record who hopes that I'll quickly agree to the job on the phone before checking them out.


I agree with this list. I've had both 1 and 2 happen to me.

#1 was great - a new client with a nice relatively large project.

#2 was not so great - PM tried to push me into making a rush decision about whether I would do a translation or not. I said I would let them know within half an hour so that I could have time to read through the file but they said no, that was not possible, they were leaving the office and wanted to know NOW! It was an attempt to pressure me to take on work in an area I don't specialize in at all. So from now on I will never let myself be pressured into a project.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxnrichy
France
Local time: 05:16
French to Dutch
+ ...
Happens regularly Aug 22, 2013

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

has arrived when we automatically assume that any form of direct personal communication must be a scam.


Direct clients take the phone, and some agencies too. They want to talk to you to be sure that you are a nice person to work with and if they can count on you, where you come from, etc. Sometimes it's a kind of test. Some time ago I talked with a lady who worked at a museum - and since then work has been coming in regularly. I think your details should be on your website or in your profile. If this scares you, take a second cell phone and throw it away if there are any problems. Why should you hide yourself, you have a shop and you have to sell your services.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Phone call about a translation job

Advanced search







TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search