Thread poster: Arben Seva

Arben Seva  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:42
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Oct 10, 2004

I was contacted from one promising new client requesting translation and interpretation services. We don’t do interpretation as the demand is quite low for our languages. However I offered to find someone, just to help them. I contacted some people and I managed to get some CVs and rates. The next days I will contact the client and I will inform them about the available interpreters. The question is, should I just pass their information to the client and try to stay out of the case, or should I become the middle man and try to make a profit. If the latter, how much this percentage should be? What other issues will I have to deal with if I choose to be the middle man?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Direct link Reply with quote

Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:42
Member (2002)
English to German
Just some ideas what could go wrong... Oct 10, 2004

...in case you act as an agency:
- The interpreters could fail to show up (in time) and in consequence you have to pay the resulting damages to your client.
- The client could refuse to pay for whatever reasons (financial problems, not satisfied)... You would still have to pay the interpreters though.
- The interpreters could do a bad job and therefore your relationship to the client could suffer

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Best to Stay Out Oct 10, 2004

Just pass along the information as a favor and let the client work with the people directly. You have no experience in the area and you could end up in a pond of alligators if you try to be a middle man.

However, helping the client with information even though you get nothing out of it right now, could be worth some good will down the road.

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 12:42
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

agree Oct 10, 2004

Referrals often come back to you later.

OTOH, making a profit requires responsibility on your part - not necessarily a good thing if you are not set up for it (insurance, etc).

Good luck!

Nancy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpretation Services...

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search