Pricing translation that involves scanned tables
Thread poster: John Fossey

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:37
Member (2008)
French to English
Aug 28, 2013

Occasionally a client asks for translation of documents that consist of scanned tables. These always seem to involve a lot of extra work, whether creating the tables with an OCR program such as ABBYY or manually recreating the table. How do you charge for this extra work? Personally I don't like an hourly charge because I would prefer to agree on the total ahead of time. Any ideas?

Direct link Reply with quote

James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
No escape Aug 28, 2013

Ultimately, you need to make a decent amount of money per hour of work in order to survive, if not prosper. In cases like that I estimate how long the project will take from previous experience with similar jobs and quote a total price on that basis. That's essentially what a painter, a carpenter, an auto mechanic or even a physician does when telling you how much something is going to cost. Sure, sometimes you get it wrong, especially in the beginning -- but with practice you'll get better at it.

Or you could just say no to jobs like that...

[Edited at 2013-08-28 20:25 GMT]

James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
No escape Aug 28, 2013

James McVay wrote:

Ultimately, you need to make a decent amount of money per hour of work in order to survive, if not prosper. In cases like that I estimate how long the project will take from previous experience with similar jobs and quote a total price based on how much I need per hour That's essentially what a painter, a carpenter, an auto mechanic or even a physician does when telling you how much something is going to cost. Sure, sometimes you get it wrong, especially in the beginning -- but with practice you'll get better at it.

Or you could just say no to jobs like that...

[Edited at 2013-08-28 20:25 GMT]

Oops, I meant that as an update, not a quote.

[Edited at 2013-08-28 20:28 GMT]

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:37
Chinese to English
Don't do them Aug 28, 2013

I regard complex tables as a DTP service, and I don't offer that.

I let clients know that I will give them a translation that is accurate and clear, so that they can tell at a glance which segment in English relates to which source text segment. But I don't do any formatting that goes beyond the basic Word functions. A basic table doesn't take too much time, so I'll put the text in a table, but it won't be shaped or coloured or positioned particularly cleverly. That's for the client's DTP guys to do.

If it's a big table with a lot of numbers, I leave the numbers out, too. Get a typist.

But I don't find simple tables to be particularly time-consuming.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing translation that involves scanned tables

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search