'Nother round of juicy clauses, share what ya got
Thread poster: Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:37
English to Polish
+ ...
Aug 30, 2013

Have you been asked to sign anything particularly 'cool' recently? The 2013 virtual conference is approaching, and I'll be talking about zombie contracts again (I already did at the Polish one in June).

Please delete all names and avoid all other giveaways.

Thanks.

P.S. The clauses don't have to be from contracts, PO terms and job specifications are also okay. I'd prefer English, but I can manage a Romance language with some difficulty (in fact, I'd like to look at the source anyway in such cases).

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:37
English to German
+ ...
Invoicing instructions Aug 30, 2013

Via email:

Hi [Translation Agency] Freelancers

Please allow this email to be a friendly reminder of our invoicing instructions.

GENERAL INVOICING INSTRUCTIONS FOR TRANSLATORS

DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR INVOICE ALONG WITH YOUR TRANSLATION
* Invoices must be submitted NO LATER THAN 10 DAYS following the reception of the Work Order; otherwise, payment will be subject to delays

[TRANSLATION AGENCY] RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REFUSE PAYMENT IF INVOICE IS SUBMITTED AFTER AN UNREASONABLY EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME.

FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH ANY OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN NON-PAYMENT OF AN INVOICE

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:37
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Since we're on the subject... Aug 30, 2013

"All invoices shall be submitted within 24 hours after completion of the job. Invoices submitted more than 72 hours after completion of the job will have a $35 late invoice fee deducted."

Is that even legal?

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
A little off topic, but... Aug 30, 2013

This was my favorite from the U.S. Visa paperwork that my wife had to file.

She had to attest that she was not -

"c. An alien who seeks to enter the United States to engage in espionage, sabotage, export control violations, terrorist activities, the overthrow of the Government of the United States or other unlawful activity; who is a member of or affiliated with the Communist of other totalitarian party; who participated, engaged or ordered genocide, torture, or extrajudicial killings; or who is a member or representative of a terrorist organization as currently designated by the U.S. Secretary of State. Yes ☺ No ☺"

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
. Aug 30, 2013

A very large translation company whose name begins with T recently asked me to print off, sign, scan and return a ten-page contract. Is this a record?

Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:37
Romanian to English
+ ...
Not a record Aug 30, 2013

philgoddard wrote:

A very large translation company whose name begins with T recently asked me to print off, sign, scan and return a ten-page contract. Is this a record?

Nope, I once was sent a 14-page contract. Luckily they ordered translations amounting to a bit more than that.

Another aberration I find particularly difficult to handle (to put it mildly) is when clients ask for separate invoices for each job, just to make it easier for them (big company, clearly bigger workforce than my poor little sole entrepreneurship can muster) to do the bookkeeping, even for jobs consisting of a few lines, charged by word in consideration of the long collaboration. Needless to say, the administrative tasks (invoicing, bookkeeping) take longer and are costlier than the amount invoiced, let alone profit.

Speaking of which: can clients legally refuse to accept invoices which are issued in accordance with all the legal accounting requirements of the country, based on their own requirements stipulated for their own convenience only? (i.e. invoice needs to be for one job only, needs to be submitted in a certain period of the month, etc.)

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:37
German to English
No Aug 30, 2013

philgoddard wrote:

No.

Steve K.

owhisonant (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:37
German to English
+ ...
Here's a few gems... Aug 30, 2013

From a recent risible hiring attempt by a Big Fat Company:

1. Thou Shalt Print This Contract, Initial Each Page, Then Sign It, Scan It and Email It Back To Us...

Has the absurdity of this occurred to anyone? You want me to hand-sign and initial a document, then re-digitize and send back that document, at which point there will be *absolutely* no difference between the hand-signed signature and a scanned signature that's been copied onto the page. Ah, but lest one thinks to circumvent this Order and use image files, they have introduced some little formatting tricks to make it more difficult to do so (albeit not impossible).

2. In Which Shall Be Given The Right To Audit
#The Company reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to conduct, or have a third party conduct audits of Contractor’s facilities, business practices, and any other matters reasonably relating to the performance of Contractor’s Services hereunder. Contractor acknowledges that the Company’s right request and conduct such audits is a condition of Contractor’s engagement hereunder, and Contractor agrees to cooperate fully in such audits. Although the Company, where practicable, will endeavor to provide advance notice to Contractor of its intent to conduct an audit, the parties agree that the Company may conduct an unannounced audit.

3. In Which The Company Alone Shall Decide What Meets Their Standard
# Contractor agrees to provide Services in accordance to the Company’s specifications, to complete all assignments previously accepted by Contractor and to have work reviewed by the Company and/or an independent third party. If it is determined that Contractor has returned, in Company’s sole opinion, sub-standard, deficient or incomplete work, the Company has the right to withhold and/or reduce payment and terminate this Agreement.

The whole 'sole discretion / sole opinion' thing really rubs me the wrong way, makes me want to form a Union or something... Unannounced audits, indeed! To top it off, they'll want to pay a max of eight cents a word on tight deadlines and with loosey-goosey payment terms... I suppose someone will need the work badly enough. Not me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Nother round of juicy clauses, share what ya got

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search