Collaboration with individuals from sanctioned countries?
Thread poster: Antonio Fajardo

Antonio Fajardo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:42
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 5, 2013

Can we purchase or sell services to individuals residing in sanctioned countries like Burma, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan or Syria? Can we deduct their invoices? Restrictions apply just to a limited list of individuals or corporations ?

Any help in this subject would be appreciated, thanks!

Masoud Kakoli
Iran
Local time: 00:12
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
I'm from Iran Sep 5, 2013

Hi,

I'm a translator from Iran. I'd also like to get some information on this issue. As far as I'm concerned Iranians cannot use any international debit/credit card such as MasterCard, PayPal and others. However, I think that foreigners can still send money to Iran under certain conditions. I think that one of those conditions is that the money must be under 1000 U.S dollars and I think that transactions are not processed real time, it might take up to 72 working hours.

Please bear in mind what I mentioned is what I have heard before. They are not straight from the horse's mouth.

As far as I know, United States claims that sanctions do not target ordinary people. However in practice, ordinary people are thoroughly targeted by those sanctions.

I think it is better for me to ask financial institutions this question. I can ask them that how foreigners can send money to Iranian-based individuals.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
You choose Sep 5, 2013

I'm not really sure I understand the question. On a personal level, I'd be quite happy to work with clients in Cuba - I think the decades-long embargo is a disgrace that should have ended long ago -, but much more reluctant to engage with people from further afield such as Burma or Iran (I tend to avoid working with non-European countries in general anyway).

I don't know the ins and outs of billing clients in these countries, but I imagine it could be quite complicated.

Antonio Fajardo  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course I choose to do something legal or illegal, but would this be illegal? Sep 5, 2013

Of course I choose, the question is if I may have legal problems for engaging in such commercial activity :S

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably not in Spain Sep 5, 2013

If you were based in the USA, you might find the repercussions more stringent, but I doubt whether it would cause much of a stir in Spain, although if the collaboration included descriptions of military or strategic facilities, that might prove more problematic.

I'm sure Hacienda will be glad to inform you about the tax requirements involved in any such dealings.

Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm not 100% sure about this Sep 5, 2013

but I could swear that any trade embargoes imposed by the EU would only apply to the export of certain goods (like arms) to certain countries, i.e. not to services.

It seems to me that prohibiting the offer of translation services by a resident of one country to a resident of another country would infringe several basic human rights.

Masoud Kakoli
Iran
Local time: 00:12
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Translation Sep 5, 2013

Foreigners can easily sell services such as translation to Iranians. This is not included in the sanctions but the problem is that how easily someone can receive their payment.

[Edited at 2013-09-05 10:14 GMT]

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:42
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sanctions aren't that all-encompassing, are they? Sep 5, 2013

I've had clients in a couple of Middle-East countries where sanctions have been in place. I don't believe there's anything unlawful about providing our type of service - at least, it never bothered me in the past. It would be different if we were providing products of some sort. But I suppose it depends to some extent why the sanctions are in place. In my case, it was all to do with terrorism, etc. Well, I wasn't translating instructions for making dirty bombs, or anything like that! But I do remember personally supporting South African sanctions when I was younger (until Mandela asked us to stop): I wouldn't buy their oranges etc. for years.

The only problem is with payments.icon_frown.gif Each time, the client was perfectly honest and willing to pay. But in each case there was a delay of several months while ways were found to circumvent all the restrictions. But there are always ways and means: in one case, the wife of my client took a holiday abroad and paid from there.

It's an interesting question, though.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Collaboration with individuals from sanctioned countries?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search