Inquired detailed bank info by new client
Thread poster: Ayako Reiff

Ayako Reiff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:52
English to Japanese
+ ...
Sep 12, 2013

After passing a trial translation, my new client is trying to put my info into their database. They asked me the detailed bank account, including account number.
I am concerned to provide them this kind I info, as I have never worked with them except for the trial.
They seem to be a good company...
Is it normal that a client asks for your bank info to establish business relationship with you?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:52
English to Polish
+ ...
Not standard but probably not unheard of Sep 12, 2013

Some people just prefer to know it advance that which you need to state on every invoice anyway. Not necessarily a scam flag.

finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
bank name and location should be enough Sep 12, 2013

You can state that the payment details will be shown in your first invoice.

liviu roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
it is normal Sep 12, 2013

All your bank information is on every check you issue (bank, routing#, account #).
Where is the problem ?

lee

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:52
French to English
+ ...
Not unheard of, but not unheard of to provide on invoice Sep 12, 2013

At the end of the day, you're going to have to tell them your bank account number sooner or later if you want them pay money into it.

I would say that the norm is to provide this at the time of actually requesting payment, but occasionally larger agencies will ask for it up front, presumably because they have more complex accounting systems and need to get you "into the system" prior to receiving your invoice.

So you wouldn't be a "black sheep" in saying that your policy is to provide payment information on your invoice. But even so, between now and issuing the invoice, you still have to decide what the client actually needs to do to dispel your current concerns.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do not do it Sep 12, 2013

Why do they need your bank information when they still haven't hired you for any actual job? That's irresponsible bureaucracy.

Explain to them that it is your policy not to reveal bank details until an actual PO, a delivered job, and an invoice exist for a job. Report that the bank details will be shown on the invoice.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:52
English to German
+ ...
Not a problem. Sep 12, 2013

I just did the same. I just provided a test translation of 100 words which will be paid at the rate of one hour of copy-writing. The agency client in England wants to set up an account for me, and I simply sent them our banking information including SWIFT-BIC. The only thing that anyone can do with this kind of information is to send money. Ayako - you live in the US. You should know that nobody can do anything weird with this information. Even if someone tries to make an e-check payment over the phone and has the audacity to make up a check number, banks will block such attempts immediately if the check number is out of sequence and/or if the call comes from a phone number that is not registered with your bank.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:52
English to German
+ ...
Yes. Sep 12, 2013

lee roth wrote:

All your bank information is on every check you issue (bank, routing#, account #).
Where is the problem ?

lee

Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't see the problem either Sep 12, 2013

We give our bank details all the time. How can you expect to be paid otherwise? This does not sound like a scam at all.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No problem Sep 12, 2013

As our colleagues have already stated, your bank information (of course excluding your PIN) will not bring any harm upon. All that can happen is that someone sends you money, since, as Nicole stated, your bank will prevent any fraudulent transaction attempts.

If the company is legit (you said it is), then why risk losing a good potential client over their request to send them your bank details?

Ayako Reiff  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 12, 2013

Thanks everyone for advice.
I have never asked this kind of information before, as all of other clients just mail checks to me. I just wanted to know if it is a sort of common procedure.

Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wow! Really? Sep 12, 2013

Here in Europe we very rarely use cheques now. I think my bank in the UK would give me a funny look if I asked for a cheque book.icon_smile.gif

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A risk? Sep 12, 2013

Thayenga wrote:
If the company is legit (you said it is), then why risk losing a good potential client over their request to send them your bank details?

I don't think that keeping your bank details until they are really needed should be considered a risk of losing a potential customer.

If an agency is so concerned about not having my bank details that they cannot send me a job without them, it is not a very good sign if you ask me. Any sensible company will accept the fact that people prefer not to reveal information they feel is sensitive before an actual business relationship exists.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 17:52
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not a problem Sep 12, 2013

Like Marie-Hélène I haven't used a cheque for ages and I don’t miss them at all. Other forms of payment are much simpler. I have been asked a few times to provide my bank details by potential customers. Never had a problem!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inquired detailed bank info by new client

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search