Thread poster: imane stanton

imane stanton  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Sep 24, 2013

Hi there,

I was asked by a potential client to provide a quote per minute to proofread a 700 minute video. I am used to charge per word..What do you think a fair price would be??? I wuld so REALLY appreciate yur help. This isn't the first time....

Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:42
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
per minute of what? Sep 24, 2013

of the video? What do you have to proofread on the video? The subtitles? It's not really clear from your message what the job entails but I would advise against charging per audio/video minute whatever the task. You are selling a commodity which is your time and the time it takes you to do the job is what you have to charge for.

Transcriptions paid per audio/video minute (although I'm still not sure that this is what you've been asked to quote for) is a classic way for agencies to get tricky work done on the cheap.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:42
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Transcription proofreading Sep 24, 2013

Transcription revision/proofreading/editing... is something I've done, but I wouldn't like to pull a rabbit out of a hat holding a price tag. There are just so many potential issues that will slow the work rate. The transcriber had to deal with speed and clarity of speech, multiple speakers, background noise, etc., etc. You have those to deal with, too. The way of pricing it is to listen to several samples to estimate how long the job will take (actually work on these samples if this is the first time to see how long they take). I'm sure you have an hourly rate in mind so you can calculate the per-minute rate from that.

What you haven't told us is whether this is a monolingual transcription, or whether you'll be listening in one language and checking a translation of what you hear. I have to say that monolingual transcription work is really a typist's job and therefore doesn't command the high rates we (are supposed toicon_smile.gif) get. OTOH, if there's translation involved, you not only require a higher hourly rate: you also need much more time. You'll be stopping and replaying the source input much more frequently, and you'll need time to actually digest what you're hearing before you check the written words. At least, I'd need more, but then I'm no interpreter.

Whatever you do, don't give a firm quote until you've heard those samples and seen the transcript.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

proofreading video. rate/minute

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search