https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/258665-sending_offers_to_in_for_a_job_in_%22berlin_or_munich%22.html

Sending offers to .in for a job in "Berlin or Munich"
Thread poster: apk12
apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:28
English to German
+ ...
Oct 29, 2013

I just don't really get why on earth I should (if I'd be searching for a full-time inhouse job) - why. On. Earth. I should send an offer (or in this case application) to .in for a job in "Berlin or Munich".

I just don't really get it.

Am I supposed (if I'd be searching for a full-time inhouse job) - am I supposed to get my salary frojm .in, too? And the salary certificate also?

(Sorry, just had to send my today's 2 cents somewhere.)

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 20:28
English to Russian
+ ...
Do you mean Oct 29, 2013

India?

Why not?..

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Berlin or Munich. Oct 29, 2013

Because the job is in Berlin or Munich. And just like I do NOT appreciate it when living costs in other countries try to influence going rates on the translation market for again other countries' target languages, I suppose -this- or -that- Human Ressources person in Berlin or Munich will be also p.ssed (sry) to hear that their job wandered to .in.

("Ey, why not outsource a hiring process? Might save us some bucks.")

("Yeah, why not.")

... See more
Because the job is in Berlin or Munich. And just like I do NOT appreciate it when living costs in other countries try to influence going rates on the translation market for again other countries' target languages, I suppose -this- or -that- Human Ressources person in Berlin or Munich will be also p.ssed (sry) to hear that their job wandered to .in.

("Ey, why not outsource a hiring process? Might save us some bucks.")

("Yeah, why not.")

Edit: Note to self. Do not type on ProZ when translating a Public Relations text. RES-SOUR-CES (comma) HUMAN. (...ts... "Human Relations", no time for .t.h.i.s. joke now.)

Ressources.

[Edited at 2013-10-29 13:23 GMT]
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
I saw this offer too... Oct 29, 2013

and wondered about the job location because the employer is located in India.

Maybe some outsourcers are now acting as job agencies, I don't know.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Global outsourcing Oct 29, 2013

Same as when you call customer service or when you get a call to promote whatever stuff.
It may be less common for German, but in FR-, EN- and SP-speaking markets, you never know where the other end of the call is located.

What difference does it make? Maybe they save on HR expenses outsourcing to india in order to offer better packages to their vacant positions!

Nowadays, sardines are caught off Namibian coasts by Japanese ships, cut and boned in Vietnam, seasone
... See more
Same as when you call customer service or when you get a call to promote whatever stuff.
It may be less common for German, but in FR-, EN- and SP-speaking markets, you never know where the other end of the call is located.

What difference does it make? Maybe they save on HR expenses outsourcing to india in order to offer better packages to their vacant positions!

Nowadays, sardines are caught off Namibian coasts by Japanese ships, cut and boned in Vietnam, seasoned in Romania, tinned in Morocco and labelled in Italy.
Nothing surprises me anymore.

Philippe
Collapse

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
That's one of the consequences of Oct 29, 2013

globalization and the worldwide web. I could just as easily live in Germany (as I do now) and work as a project manager or business development/key account manager for a company in the United States (or India, for that matter) as be a freelancer. I don't have to like it, but that's just how it is these days. If they are salaried by the an employer located in a different country, that doesn't affect anything, unless they are hired as full-time translators, but I'm not sure it would make any diffe... See more
globalization and the worldwide web. I could just as easily live in Germany (as I do now) and work as a project manager or business development/key account manager for a company in the United States (or India, for that matter) as be a freelancer. I don't have to like it, but that's just how it is these days. If they are salaried by the an employer located in a different country, that doesn't affect anything, unless they are hired as full-time translators, but I'm not sure it would make any difference even then. Translation is a very fast-growing global industry, so obviously the competition is getting tougher by the day no matter where you live. You just have to find the niche you excel in, and that is your USP for gaining and keeping good clients.Collapse

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What difference it makes. Oct 29, 2013

Huge difference.
Just simply universal. (Even lager.)

In order to clarify just one shade of that difference, I asked whether I am supposed to get my salary from .in, too. -And- the salary certificate.

And whether I am supposed to (if it's a larger company...) to contact the Betriebsrat in .in if there is something to clarify. And whether the Gewerkschaft has a branch in India. This should also be clarified.

Just simply universal. That difference. ... See more
Huge difference.
Just simply universal. (Even lager.)

In order to clarify just one shade of that difference, I asked whether I am supposed to get my salary from .in, too. -And- the salary certificate.

And whether I am supposed to (if it's a larger company...) to contact the Betriebsrat in .in if there is something to clarify. And whether the Gewerkschaft has a branch in India. This should also be clarified.

Just simply universal. That difference.

What if the Indian HR person who lost a job because of this outsourcing is actually located in Munich because moved there years ago? And is now searching for his lost job in Munich? What exactly is his job doing in .in?

[Edited at 2013-10-29 15:37 GMT]
Collapse

Srini Venkataraman
Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 12:28
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
Global market Oct 30, 2013

I had 2 occasions, where 1. the company was registered in UK, but on following up through the freelance job process, the office handling the communication was in India. Dropped out as the rates were not good. 2. The transcription agency was in UK. Again further communication was handled by an Indian company, apparently the UK entity was an agent to the Indian company.
So my take will be that, go through the recruitment process for the job in Berlin/Munich. If the rates are not good, then
... See more
I had 2 occasions, where 1. the company was registered in UK, but on following up through the freelance job process, the office handling the communication was in India. Dropped out as the rates were not good. 2. The transcription agency was in UK. Again further communication was handled by an Indian company, apparently the UK entity was an agent to the Indian company.
So my take will be that, go through the recruitment process for the job in Berlin/Munich. If the rates are not good, then stop further follow up.
I have seen in the IT industry lot of Indian companies(WIPRO, Infosys, Tata consultancy Services etc) recruit local persons in their foreign locations, and it may not be possible to move 100% people from India to these locations.
Collapse

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Full-time inhouse Oct 30, 2013

Srini Venkataraman wrote:

I had 2 occasions, where 1. the company was registered in UK, but on following up through the freelance job process, the office handling the communication was in India.

"Freelance job process." We are talking about a full-time inhouse position. If they want to hire a freelancer for a "full-time inhouse position", they have a problem. They can order full-time availability from a freelancer, i.e. a translator working inhouse as a freelancer full-time for some weeks, for a clarified longer project, but after that, the so-called "Scheinselbständigkeit"-issue starts, you cannot avoid hiring someone on legal basis if you want someone full-time. So - this would be an issue anyway. Recently heard about a person working for a main TV broadcaster (a public one, btw.) who finally won a court case against his "client" (the broadcaster) who hired him full-time, ongoing. You cannot avoid fulfilling your duties as an "Arbeitgeber" if what you want is a person available for you/your company full-time.

Dropped out as the rates were not good. 2. The transcription agency was in UK. Again further communication was handled by an Indian company, apparently the UK entity was an agent to the Indian company.
So my take will be that, go through the recruitment process for the job in Berlin/Munich. If the rates are not good, then stop further follow up.

I can't follow up a recruitment process in ".in" if the job is supposed to be in Berlin/Munich, no way. (If I'd be searching for a full-time inhouse position.)
Full-time inhouse jobs (including holidays, relevant bonuses etc etc) are usually published with full information who the hiring company or institution is, and I just don't believe the work places in Berlin and Munich belong to an Indian company. And even if, they better should hurry up and look out for the inhouse HR person who did not get his job because he is supposed to be located where the job is supposed to be located. This is full-time inhouse they are talking about.

I have seen in the IT industry lot of Indian companies(WIPRO, Infosys, Tata consultancy Services etc) recruit local persons in their foreign locations, and it may not be possible to move 100% people from India to these locations.

Nah, I don't believe this is an Indian company hiring. This looks more like an outsourced HR job. For a possible future "Scheinselbständigkeit" court case.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but all I know is I definitely have no clue why I should send an application to an address in .in for a full-time inhouse position in "Berlin or Munich".

[Edited at 2013-10-30 11:08 GMT]

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Report it Nov 1, 2013

If you think there is a legal problem, then take it to the German authorities. No use going on and on about it here, where no one is in a position to do anything about it or doesn't much care one way or the other.

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2 cents report? Nov 2, 2013

I do not see a reason to report it (as long as the position exists and this is a real job ad), the discussion started with a 2 cents post. And developped. "No one" caring about working conditions in their own industry might be a bit exaggerated, but it's probably just me.
This is a comment thread to a job post (or in this case, to a hiring method), no more no less.

[Edited at 2013-11-02 08:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending offers to .in for a job in "Berlin or Munich"

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »