Carla Griecco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:01
Member (2004)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nov 2, 2013

Dear friends,
I'm facing an unusual situation and would like to have some input from other translators before going any further.

I accepted a proofreading project in July, with several client edits coming through until September.
Client edits were implemented accordingly, and after every update, a copy of the updated TM was sent to the agency. 3 months later.... the agency contacts me again, claiming that I did not update their files, so I reopened the project, checked everything, and delivered a new updated TM.
Now this agency is harassing me, requesting to update a different set of files (which were never submitted before with any sort of client edits), taking up my time and literally driving me insane.

How would you handle this?

DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 23:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Give them a quote Nov 2, 2013

Tell them that you'll be happy to do it, but that it is not part of the original job. Give them a quote based on the time you estimate will be needed and be quite clear what his quote includes/excludes.

If you really don't want to do the job, add 25% or more to the quote.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:01
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The question that springs to mind: Nov 2, 2013

Have they paid you in full?

If so, then I personally would politely inform them that that job is over. Any further work must be paid for. And this time, the job needs to be clearly specified so it's clear what ISN'T included in the price.

If they haven't paid, they should have! I suppose that if you worry that they may never pay (at least, not without a court order etc), then it might be worth telling them that you'll do it when you've received their full payment. It depends how much work is involved really.

Did you agree before starting work that you'd accept client edits for months afterwards? It sounds as though you would have been advised to make a stand right at the beginning. But that's easy for me to say, after the fact.icon_wink.gif Sounds like an ex-client, anyway.

Carla Griecco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:01
Member (2004)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paid in full, we're done here Nov 2, 2013

Job has been paid in full, there are no terms where I agree to be at their disposal ad aeternum.
Thank you very much for your inputs!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request for changes 3 months after project completion

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search