Thread poster: xxxncfialho
xxxncfialho  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:22
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 5, 2004

Hello to all ,
how do you handle you publicity?
Do you go to a *normal* publicity agency and ask for advice or do you create it yourself?
What about slogans? And anouncments in e.g. publications related to your area?
Do you use google advertises?
I dont want you to share your secrets with me, but get an idea how to do publicity in the best way.
Thanks,
Natália

Direct link Reply with quote

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 19:22
tried and tested ways Nov 5, 2004

Never ever underestimate the power of the Phone Book. Take an ad in that, it will be there for the year and in the online version of the phone book too. In comparison, a newspaper is only valid for that day/week of publication.

Build up your online presence in sites like Proz, translatorscafe, etc. Only this week, I got an ENG>GAE job from a private US client who found me through Proz. (and he paid asap, i love it when that happens *grin*)

Get business cards, always carry some with you. Stick them up in your local library, shops etc.

O.

Natália Fialho wrote:

Hello to all ,
how do you handle you publicity?
Do you go to a *normal* publicity agency and ask for advice or do you create it yourself?
What about slogans? And anouncments in e.g. publications related to your area?
Do you use google advertises?
I dont want you to share your secrets with me, but get an idea how to do publicity in the best way.
Thanks,
Natália

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some ideas Nov 5, 2004

Coincidentally, the publication of this article was announced only a few days ago: http://www.linguistsuccess.com/article_gm.htm
It contains some useful concepts.

The value of personal interactions (word of mouth) can not be overestimated. Each successful contact with a potential or actual client (whether you meet the person socially or in a business environment) is a advertisement for your services that can speak much louder than any clever slogan or advertising campaign. By "successful", I am referring not only to the quality of your translation itself, but also to the professionalism of all your interactions with the person, so that you leave the (potential) client or contact with a good feeling about you and a willingness to recommend you to others.

[Edited at 2004-11-05 15:06]

Sybille  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:22
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Publicity for translators Nov 5, 2004

Thank you GoodWords for the very interesting link

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:22
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Make your work be you best advertiser Nov 5, 2004

Whenever you get a job, do your very, very best on it. A happy client is usually an appreciative client who (hopefully) spreads the word around. I once (a very long time ago) translated a couple of things for a business owner. She was happy and happily told many, many people about it. I have been getting referrals from Carla for years - making me and my business smile.

The phone book and the business cards are excellent ways too, but don't forget to let your work do the talking.

Good luck!

Lucinda

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:22
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Farsi proverb! Nov 6, 2004

There is a proverb in Farsi which loosly translates as:

A true fragrance is the one spreading on it's own, not the one that the perfumer is raving about!

Lucinda Hollenberg wrote:

.... but don't forget to let your work do the talking.

Lucinda

Jason Willis-Lee  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
let your work do the talking Nov 10, 2004

Hi Natalia:

Websites and business card are part and parcel of standard advertising but I´m with Lucinda, let your work do the talking for you, there is no better calling card.

Best regards,
Jason

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Publicity for translators

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search