Charge for transcribing .jpg files?
Thread poster: pgschreier

pgschreier  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 14:47
German to English
Feb 14, 2014

A client (again) sent .jpg files to be translated. Before I can translate with Trados, I have to transcribe these in the source language. I typically charge time for such work. Do you also charge for this, or do you accept it as part of the job at the per-line/per-word rate?

Direct link Reply with quote

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:47
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Of course you charge for it Feb 14, 2014

The project fee should reflect as accurately as possible the effort involved in completing a project, and this includes the pre- and post-processing stages of the work.

If working with image files (whether in an image file format or in a PDF file) is a regular request, you might want to consider investing in an OCR program to save you the extra typing (but still charge for the effort; and don't forget that when you invest in a technology you look to get some ROI out of it - so don't be careless about passing all the savings to the clients).

Frankie JB
France
English to French
+ ...
The labourer is worthy of his hire Feb 14, 2014

but the labourer may also offer reasonable, extra-mile complimentary services here and there to show appreciation when the client is ein Stammkunde and pays a nifty margin... It's a context-sensitive issue in my opinion. Time charging a posteriori could be the best solution when it's possible...

Anyway, I don't know exactly what's all about at your end but there are chances that if, like Shai Nave mentioned, you have some OCR software, it will be a cinch (caveat if the quality of jpegs is low). With Acrobat Pro you can convert a whole of set of jpegs into one PDF in the blink of an eye and then recognize text automatically...

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Charge for it Feb 14, 2014

pgschreier wrote:
A client sends .jpg files to be translated. Before I can translate with Trados, I have to transcribe these in the source language. I typically charge time for such work.

I think it is right that you charge for it, but perhaps it is better not to bother the client with the details. Simply raise your rate for PDF or JPG files by the amount that you would normally pay a typist to do the typing.

The fact that you *can* translate the file without using Trados doesn't mean you have to. If you choose to use Trados for all jobs, then that is part of the way you work, and if that means that some tasks are more expensive than others, then it is only right that you pass that expense to the client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charge for transcribing .jpg files?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search