changing the e-mail provider?
Thread poster: rikka

rikka  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:16
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 24, 2014

I've had my current e-mail address for about 10 years now and it's always worked smoothly for me (touch wood), even if it is just a free provider (from Germany). As I keep hearing how "unprofessional" it is not to have a paid account I keep wondering whether I should change my e-mail provider.

The problem is, I am not altogether sure whether changing is a practical idea - I would need to change my business cards and send notification e-mails to everyone on my contacts list, plus probably keep checking both the old and the new e-mail address for quite a few months to catch up all the e-mails sent to me by the clients who've forgotten to change their settings for me.

So I guess what I am asking for here is reassurance - should I stay with the old one (never change a running system, as they say), or should I go to another one and just put up with the resulting inconveniences for a while? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:16
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My suggestions Feb 24, 2014

1) Your paid ProZ membership comes with a free domain name (of your choice) and an email account.

2) Sending notification of your new email address to current and past clients is a great way to reconnect with them again (even better if you can couple this notification with another message - additional services, new software).

3) Keep your current e-mail address for around six months (or more if it's a free one). I don't know which email service you are currently using, but most of them allow you to "forward" your mail to your new address, so that you will not miss anything during the transition period. It is then enough to remind people who use your old address about your new one.

rikka  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you for your encouragement Feb 24, 2014

I suppose I just need to give it a go and set up the account with proz... This means, however, that I will be relying on my paid membership for my e-mails in the future...

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:16
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, that is true, but... Feb 24, 2014

I believe, but someone else will have to confirm, that the domain name is registered in your name and is yours, so if you leave Proz, you will have to purchase email hosting service from another provider, but you could still use the same email address and website.

rikka wrote:

I suppose I just need to give it a go and set up the account with proz... This means, however, that I will be relying on my paid membership for my e-mails in the future...

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:16
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
A good reason to use gmail, IMO Feb 24, 2014

We had to change ISP twice within a short time. The first change was such a nightmare, even though we were able to retain our old addresses for a long while, that I decided to change to gmail instead the second time.

Then, when we moved to Spain, the cutoff was overnight - no contact list, no old emails online, nothing. My husband wasn't too badly affected as he only uses email for his own personal use, but it would have crippled my business. Never again will I tie myself into an ISP in that way.

I reckon that if gmail dies, it will be part of a bigger death that will probably send everything topsy-turvy.

Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why not keep your old email address Feb 24, 2014

and create a new one?

Usually I use the address(es) of my ISP, but one of my French clients prefers to use my free email address. It is just a habit, but why not?

This solution is also recommendable regarding times of technical problems /server down-times each and every ISP encounters once in a while.

Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:16
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
You can have both Feb 24, 2014

If your old service is free, there's nothing to stop you from keeping it even if you get a new one. I started with a Gmail account and only got a hosting service with my own domain name a couple of years ago. I've got Thunderbird set up with both accounts. Basically, my older clients still use the Gmail address, where as newer contacts use the new address. Both addresses are included in my email signature. And of course, it's never a bad idea to have a back-up address/account.

[Edited at 2014-02-24 23:44 GMT]

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Email forwarding Feb 25, 2014

Well, first off, if your Proz membership expires, you won't have access to your email anymore (I lost access to mine when my membership lapsed last year). That doesn't mean that there aren't other options though.

Registering a domain name only costs about $12 per year and most website hosing providers will let you set up email accounts connected to your domain name for free. I use Hostgator and pay $10 a month - I can have all the websites and email accounts that I want. I currently have 5 sites running off my account and I think I have around 30 active email addresses between all my clients. There is another option that only costs $6 per month for one domain.

I would personally suggest that you buy a domain that you like (yourname@domainname.com), register it with a cheap hosting provider, create an email account there and have it forward everything to your free account.

Gmail has a really neat feature that lets you set up an email alias, which basically let you respond using your paid email address from your free email. This would put all your emails into one place and allow you to easily respond using what ever address you like. If you're not using gmail now, you could even forward your current emails to a new gmail account and still respond with your current email (if you want) and receive emails from your new address.

Hope that helpsicon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2014-02-25 02:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-02-25 02:17 GMT]

rikka  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your great suggestions, Feb 25, 2014

I suppose I will need to look at setting up my own domain first, there is no point creating just an e-mail account somewhere else.

Especially as the free one works fine, I agree with Sheila on this. I think I've been affected by the creeping sense of "if it is free it is not worth anything" - as some of the Fringe performers' punchline goes: "I am a professional , that's why I am performing here on the street", which never fails to elicit a burst of laughter from the audience. The advance of Linux refutes this point though as far as some virtual services go, I reckon. So if there is a choice between free, cheap or pricey services, I guess the choice would be - free or expensive. The stingy pay twice, as a Russian saying goes.

I'll start considering a good catchy name for a website then - I have time, at least until my business cards run outicon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2014-02-25 09:51 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

changing the e-mail provider?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search