Should I send my CV in English for a book translation inquiry?
Thread poster: Julija Dornik

Julija Dornik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:17
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Mar 10, 2014

Hello,

I have a small problem that I am not quite sure how to approach properly.

I would love to translate a specific book from Arabic to Slovenian language. I currently live in the UK, where I have most of my freelancing coming from anyway, and I tend to send out my CV's in English.

I want to approach the Egyptian publisher about translation rights, as well a Slovenian publisher about their possible interest in the translation.

Now, while I will of course send the Slovenian publisher an email in Slovenian (as it is my native language), I am not a hundred per cent sure whether I should translate my CV into Slovenian as well, as my primary market is in the UK, where I live.

I am also not sure whether I should send an Arabic copy of my CV with my inquiry to the Egyptian publisher and whether that is actually appropriate, or should I leave it in English.

If anyone could shed some light on this, I would really appreciate it. It is a very good opportunity that I would not like to blow for a mistake in introducing myself.

Cheers!

Direct link Reply with quote

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:17
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

My CV is in two languages Mar 10, 2014

For many years, my standard CV has been in both my target language (my native language) and in my main source language.

This said, you might also consider reworking your CV for this particular job, to showcase the main assets you would bring to the job. In the age of computers, there's nothing really daunting about reworking/tailoring a "generic" CV to fit certain criteria.

Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 14:17
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Both Mar 10, 2014

Hi Julija,
First, good luck with this project!
Second, not all Arabic publishers know English well enough. I suggest that you send your CV in two versions at the same time, in English and in Arabic.

Best wishes!

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
I wouldn't send a CV. Mar 10, 2014

Most of the information it contains will not be relevant. I would just include a couple of sentences about you and your suitability for the job - for example, the fact that you're an experienced freelance translator, any similar other book translations you've done, and whether you belong to any professional bodies. And a link to your website if you have one.

[Edited at 2014-03-10 15:40 GMT]

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
More detailed than usual letter? Mar 10, 2014

philgoddard wrote:
Most of the information it contains will not be relevant. I would just include a couple of sentences about you and your suitability for the job - for example, the fact that you're an experienced freelance translator, any similar other book translations you've done, and whether you belong to any professional bodies. And a link to your website if you have one.

[Edited at 2014-03-10 15:40 GMT]

I doubt that it's essential to provide a CV for this type of job. If you feel that it's worthwhile, fine, but otherwise I think the letter could be used to convince them. A quote for a 300-word translation needs to be really short, but accompanied by a CV to keep on file. In this case, they'll either not be at all interested, or they'll be interested enough to read more about you. A carefully-worded letter may do the trick. After all, they can always ask you for a CV (in their preferred language) if they want one. But as Yolanda says, it should be customised for this sort of work - a general one may put them off if you don't have much experience in book translations.

Good luck!

United Kingdom
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good points... Mar 10, 2014

Thank you, everybody!

I guess considering that this would be my first book translation (I've done some literary translations of short stories, but only at the university and not for publishing) it really might be a good idea to just not attach it to my first letters.

That being said, the work is a kind of ethnography in a colloquial language, and I did study ethnology and anthropology and briefly resided in Egypt, so I should probably point that out to them, but maybe really just in a couple of sentences.

I did also do research on translations from Arabic in Slovenia and they seem to be sought after, but as we cannot study Arabic in Slovenia, there just aren't enough candidates out there, so I just might get away with my basic CV as well...

But as Yolanda and Noura have suggested, I will prepare my CV in Arabic and Slovenian just in case they ask me for it later on, if they reply that is.

Have a lovely day everyone and thanks again for the input!

Annett G Rogoff  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Agree Mar 10, 2014

Hi Julija, I agree with most of the previous comments. A friend of mine had a similar problem with an Arabian client (not for a book translation) and she just send a cover letter in English introducing herself and her skills and didn't email a CV. She got the job, so it seems like this is a good way to go.

[Edited at 2014-03-10 17:06 GMT]

Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 14:17
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
A Reading Mar 10, 2014

If you're interested in some reading, I found this guide useful a while ago.
In the provided link, you will find another link to download a 17 pages PDF "The Proposal for a Book Length Translation". It's specifically about literary books, but I think it will serve you as well.

https://www.utdallas.edu/alta/about/faqs

HTH

United Kingdom
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This! Mar 11, 2014

Thank you Noura! It's a perfect how-to guide. I am going to read it now

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I send my CV in English for a book translation inquiry?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search