Huge files
Thread poster: Elke Fehling

Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:33
English to German
+ ...
Mar 11, 2014

Hello everybody,

I have a client that keeps sending HUGE files (Trados packages) for tiny translations. It has happened several times that I had to download 75 MBs in order to do a job contains 150 words. The file size is due to the fact that the Trados package contains several translations memories (usually for at least 5 language combinations). Since we all keep adding data to the TMs the files get bigger and bigger every day.

As long as I am working from my office this is no real problem, athough it's annoying. The download takes forever, the files use up enormous space on my computer and my overall work speed suffers. The files size becomes a problem when I am not in my office, however. I travel a lot and sometimes the internet speed in hotels or far away places isn't so very good.

I told my client several times, but he claims that he cannot do anything about it and that he suffers from the big files as well.

Sometimes I feel that I should charge an extra amount of money for every MB the client sends me. This is such an enormous waste of ressources on all sides.

What would you do?

Elke

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:33
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
This is telling Mar 11, 2014

Elke Fehling wrote:
I told my client several times, but he claims that he cannot do anything about it and that he suffers from the big files as well.

It doesn't seem as though this client is really on control of his/her business. Do you want to collaborate with an out-of-control business? Can they really control their own liquidity sufficiently to guarantee your next payment?

Sometimes I feel that I should charge an extra amount of money for every MB the client sends me. This is such an enormous waste of ressources on all sides.

However you charge it, there has to be a charge. At the very least, you're spending more time on these jobs than necessary. And sooner or later you'll hit some limit and start having real headaches.

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Sounds like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Mar 11, 2014

How important is it that you use TM? Why don't they just send you a glossary if there are terms they want you to use?

I agree that you should make an extra charge. They will understand your reasoning.

Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:33
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hm Mar 11, 2014

philgoddard wrote:

How important is it that you use TM? Why don't they just send you a glossary if there are terms they want you to use?

I agree that you should make an extra charge. They will understand your reasoning.

I am obliged to use their TM. No choice. The could just send me the German TM and the file to be translated, just like all of my other clients, but they claim they can't do it...

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:33
French to English
Keep a copy Mar 11, 2014

... and just download a new one every couple of weeks or however often you feel is right.

This rather depends on the chances of you missing segment matches and concordance search hits for new terms when you don't bother downloading their latest behemoth, and the consequences of same, but it's one solution.

Another would be to start imposing a minimum charge for them.

Or indeed both

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Huge files

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search