Large project for a branch of a company China - risky? haven't worked for them before
Thread poster: Pema Dechen

Pema Dechen
United States
Local time: 15:30
Tibetan to English
+ ...
Mar 25, 2014

Hi guys,

I've been offered a 140,000 word user manual project from "a certain company" in China (shenzhen). I've never worked with them before and I'm afraid of scammers or fake companies in China. But they are sending me emails from @(company).com.

The company wants me to finish the whole project before any payment is made. But that means I would lose a lot of time and money if they don't pay me. But it would be a great project if I have some way of making sure I get paid.

I tried to contact "the company" in the US to see if they are legitimate but couldn't reach anyone on the phone.

What do you suggest?

Thanks for any advice,
Pema Dechen

[Edited at 2014-03-26 00:48 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited since 4 days
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited since 4 days

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:30
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Shenzhen Mar 25, 2014

The office is mentioned on the general website of the company.

Cheers,
Gerard

[Edited at 2014-03-26 09:20 GMT]

Pema Dechen
United States
Tibetan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the real office, but... Mar 25, 2014

Yes, that's their legitimate office but how can I be sure the people contacting me are legitimate. I will call them, but still how can I be sure they will pay...

They are insisting that NO translation companies pay advances.

James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
No translation agencies pay advances? Mar 26, 2014

Definitely not true. I recently collected a 50% advance from a company not registered with ProZ. Of course it then took them 60 days to pay me the balance...

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
. Mar 26, 2014

The Shenzhen office is mentioned in the BlueBoard link I posted.
It simply is not true that translation companies don't pay advances. I've done around 20 full-length books, and I've always had part payment upfront. If anything goes wrong, you'll have all your eggs in one basket.

[Edited at 2014-03-26 00:39 GMT]

Pema Dechen
United States
Tibetan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to responders Mar 26, 2014

Thanks for your advice I insisted on an advance. IF the company would put up blueboard for each of their offices it wouldn't be a problem...

David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:30
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

You should insist Mar 27, 2014

I agreed you should insist on part payment or advance for such a 'big' project. If they are serious about your service, they should consider your request.

Caution is key when you work with any new company, where ever they are located. Sensible PM would not mind you raise cautious questions if they are serious about quality and delivery and pros.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Large project for a branch of a company China - risky? haven't worked for them before

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search