Agency SLA claiming ownership of intellectual property rights on TM for their jobs
Thread poster: Laura Harrison

Laura Harrison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:23
French to English
+ ...
Mar 28, 2014

Hi all,

I was contacted by a new agency through proz which has glowing references on the blueboard.

As part of their on-line registration process you need to click that you accept their SLA, which includes an effective waiver on the translator's part of any rights (including intellectual property rights) to the TM created on jobs with this agency.

I'm reluctant to accept this, and would be grateful for any thoughts and advice on this.

Thanks

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 16:23
German to English
+ ...
Could be problematic Mar 28, 2014

In addition to them being able to use your TM work for whatever purpose they might think of, this provision would actually prevent you from using the TM for jobs other than for them. I'd negotiate this out of the contract; by all means allow them to use it (but I wouldn't do this with a low-rate client!), but ensure that you retain a right to use it yourself too.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Laura Mar 28, 2014

Laura Harrison wrote:
...includes an effective waiver on the translator's part of any rights (including intellectual property rights) to the TM created on jobs with this agency.

The fact that you grant them all rights does not necessarily mean that all rights were transferred to them. Or is that what they're asking you? Is it legally possible in your own country to even do that?

I regularly sign agreements that ask me to grant the client all copyrights etc, and I don't mind doing that, because I don't translate books and film scripts.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency SLA claiming ownership of intellectual property rights on TM for their jobs

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search