Changing email- advice needed
Thread poster: James Greenfield

James Greenfield  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:24
French to English
+ ...
Apr 13, 2014

Today I missed a job offer that was sent to my email address. I think there may be a problem with my yahoo email account, I have had trouble with sending and receiving emails for a while. Can anyone recommend a good free email provider please. Is gmail the best? Thanks

[Edited at 2014-04-13 15:55 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 07:24
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Gmail Apr 13, 2014

Haven't had any problem with Gmail in two years. I have a paid email account as well, but I'm using gmail for work, it's set up on all of my devices. I like its large capacity (at least it's plenty for my type of files), and the "grouping" feature.

[Edited at 2014-04-13 16:47 GMT]

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 06:24
English to Russian
+ ...
TANSTAAFL Apr 13, 2014

At the current prices, it makes little sense to look for free e-mail providers when your livelihood depends on reliable e-mail. Firstly, from the legal point of view, a provider of a free e-mail service owes you less than ordinary duty of care - that is, ensuring reliable and uninterrupted service is the provider's voluntary commitment and may not be a legal obligation. The provider is not really liable for disruptions to your e-mail. Secondly, as wise men say, if you are not paying for something, you are not the customer, you are the product being sold - that is, a free e-mail account in most cases exposes you and your messages to data mining and similar practices to a much greater degree than an commercial one.

By the way, if you have a good Internet access provider and don't plan to change it anytime soon, there may be an e-mail account bundled with Internet access for free or for a symbolic fee. The same is true if you have or plan to have a domain of your own.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Email from ISP plus Internet backup Apr 13, 2014

I agree with Anton. My emails are through my ISP via Mozilla Thunderbird installed on my computers.
I also have a mail.com account (via the Web), which can be configured to receive everything from my own account and also to clone my main email address so I can reply from it using that. I visit it two or three times a day and clear out everything from ProZ and anything else not work related. It saved me bothering a customer a couple of months ago when I inadvertently deleted a received message with a file for translation in it.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Secure & own domain Apr 13, 2014

It may benefit you to get something really secure (some jobs might even positively require that kind of thing) and associated with your own domain to make you look really serious — beyond a simple 1:1 return on the monetary cost involved.

[Edited at 2014-04-13 18:44 GMT]

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm happy with gmail Apr 13, 2014

But as a paying member of ProZ.com you can use an email address here from here, I believe. I don't know how that works though.

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Gmail and Proz Apr 13, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

But as a paying member of ProZ.com you can use an email address here from here, I believe. I don't know how that works though.

Gmail is an excellent service but, as Anton points out, it only goes so far and the free version could, quite legitimately, close your account without warning. If you use the free Gmail service, it's a good idea to download your email to your computer regularly using a standard email client. The Gmail help files will tell you how to do this.

If you need info about the Proz email service that comes with your subscription, start here.

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:24
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Your own domain via proz.com Apr 13, 2014

As a paying member of Proz.com, we are entitled to register our own domain (paying a quite reasonable fee), wich gives us hosting rights, and our own email address (using our domain). Thus, you can have your own web site, and use your own email address. And as a backup, a gmail address.

Regards

Clarisa

John Holland  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
French to English
Forwarding Apr 13, 2014

Once you have a new email address, remember that you can have mail sent to that new address from your Yahoo account. That way, you can avoid missing messages from people who may still try to contact you at the Yahoo email address they know.

Instructions: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/SLN3525.html

Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:24
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
Yahoo Small Business Apr 14, 2014

Another option is Yahoo Small Business. I pay about 120 USD per year for this, which includes domain name, web hosting, free website templates, and a business email with my service's name at the end (@preslintranslation.com , not @yahoo.com.

Downside to this is that yahoo has occasionally had glitches that could have been very costly, including a couple of times when I've sent emails to clients, and then received error messages after 15 or 30 minutes telling me that the email didn't send correctly (although as it was the same client both times, it's possible the problem was on their end). In addition (but this is true of many sites, not just yahoo), the gov't here seems to play around with accessibility to Yahoo at times, meaning that there will often be 10-15 minute intervals where I can't send anything from the account.

Overall a bit of a mixed bag, but so long as I don't have any more of the above mentioned glitches (seems to have been better the past couple of months), I'll likely stick with this until I find something better.

[Edited at 2014-04-14 01:13 GMT]

finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
gmail "feature" Apr 14, 2014

Google reads your "private" emails real time. Another night a TV reporter sent a gmail message to a friend, mentioning that he feels like having some Chinese food tonight. Very conveniently some ads of local Chinese restaurants popped up on his screen.

Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 07:24
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Can I keep using Gmail "behind" my domain email? Apr 14, 2014

I do have a domain of my own, alainalameddine.com, which offers me @alainalameddine.com email addresses. But I just love Gmail and I don't want to stop using it.

Is there any (simple?) way I can send/receive emails as alain@alainalameddine.com from my Gmail?

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
Gmail business Apr 14, 2014

Gmail offers a business package using your own domain, for a fee. I don't know how much it is, though.

James Greenfield  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 14, 2014

Thanks very much everyone. I have decided to register my own domain name with Proz.

[Edited at 2014-04-14 22:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing email- advice needed

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search