Thread poster: Claudio Chagas (X)

Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
Local time: 11:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 20, 2004

Hello everybody,

I have not obtained any feedback on my last post so I decided to resend it, and make clear that what I would like to find out how to calculate a reasonable proofreading/editing rate. I know my translaion rates, but have never charged for proofreading/editing.

So if anyone has any ideas to give me I'd be very appreciative.

Many thanks,

Claudio

Previous post:

I've been contacted by a contract publisher in the UK who is trying to pull together a team of language sub-editors for a large amount of editing work on producing two 128pp and two 38pp brochures that will need editing both in Word and Quark.

A natural question here is the rate of pay on offer. So I'm seeking advice on how to draw up a clear agreement about what the deal involves and help working out what to charge.

If any of you with experience in this business know of a contract/agreement which records the facts by putting it in writing, I'd be interested in knowing what its recommendations to sub-editors/translators are.

I'm looking forward to reading any feedback from you.

Thank you,

Claudio

[Edited at 2006-05-01 15:53]

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:26
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
reply on editing/proofreading rates Nov 20, 2004

Claudio Chagas wrote:
I have not obtained any feedback on my last post so I decided to resend it, and make clear that what I would like is to find out how to calculate a reasonable proofreading/editing rate. I know my translaion rates, but have never charged for proofreading/editing.

Hi Claudio,

I conducted a survey on translation production rates last year. During that survey, several of the respondents also provided information about how much their agencies can edit/proofread during a period of time (hour/day). The results of that survey are in the Translation Speed vs. Content Management article that is listed at: http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/localization.htm

This should provide you with some raw data elements to establish business rates on.

Due to the nature of editing work, I have heard that revisers charge by hour.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

[Edited at 2004-11-20 17:26]

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
A third of the translation rate Nov 20, 2004

but I ask to see the translation first to have an idea of the work that must be done.
A third of translation rate is fine for a good quality translation, in which style, grammar or terminology can be improved but are not too bad either.

My two Chilean pesos.

Claudia

Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 20, 2004

Thank you Jeff and Claudia for your information!

That was very helpful.

Cheers,

Claudio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation/proofreading/editing rates

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search