Be sure to check out who you are dealing with on LinkedIn
Thread poster: Terence Noonan (X)

Terence Noonan (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:20
German to English
+ ...
May 24, 2014

Today I was thinking about contacting an agency looking for ZH-EN translators on the jobs board. Just being on the jobs board is enough of a red flag in itself, but I decided to research it anyway in the interest of further familiarizing myself with the market. I went to LI and noticed all of their PMs come from an HR or a sales background. Huge red flag IMO. If they are not linguists themselves they are simply looking to "flip" your work for a profit.

So anyway, one of their PMs is brazen enough to put the following in her LI profile:

" • Aggressively negotiate rates on behalf of the company"

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't work for anyone who brags in public about aggressively squeezing their vendors. This is a textbook example of the kind of bad agency that views our work as a commodity item to be bought and sold on price alone.

[Edited at 2014-05-24 00:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-05-24 00:12 GMT]

jotranslator  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:20
Russian to English
+ ...
Agree about "aggressively" but why... May 24, 2014

Terence Noonan wrote:
Just being on the jobs board is enough of a red flag in itself...

...is being on the jobs board a red flag necessarily?

Markus Nystrom  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:20
Swedish to English
+ ...
Joker May 24, 2014

The word "aggressive" will forever be linked in my mind with H. Ledger's amazing performance as the joker in the Dark Knight. The "aggressive expansion" scene is somewhat representative, I think, of the nihilistic tendencies that pervade the modern economic climate and that we have to deal with routinely as those whose intellectual capabilities are leveraged as part of such aggressive expansion plans! Best not to play with such nihilists if you don't want to be burned.

[Edited at 2014-05-24 07:57 GMT]

nrichy (X)
France
Local time: 21:20
French to Dutch
+ ...
Well, in fact it is May 24, 2014

joannapa wrote:

Very often it means "we do not have a stable translator database" or "we promised something to the client and now we'll have to find a translator" or "none of our translators is willing to do this for this price, so we'll put it on the internet".

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:20
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sometimes, but nowhere near always May 24, 2014

nrichy wrote:

joannapa wrote:

Very often it means "we do not have a stable translator database" or "we promised something to the client and now we'll have to find a translator" or "none of our translators is willing to do this for this price, so we'll put it on the internet".

That's certainly often true when the job is urgent, and/or clearly going to be low paid. But that doesn't apply always. I've gained some really good clients from the public job board, who are perfectly happy to pay my rates of 0.12€ per word or 30€ per hour AND sometimes agree to my deadlines when I can't possibly agree to theirs. You get all sorts of posters on the public job board; not just the bottom-feeders. In fact, you can get some really good clients in the summer and just before public holidays etc. when all their regulars say "sorry!".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Be sure to check out who you are dealing with on LinkedIn

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search