Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:06
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 29, 2014

Hi everybody,

I'm writing mostly to vent my frustration but also to know how you manage your holidays.

I've just had to refuse a big project from a regular client because a few days ago I made a reservation for a holiday with my family (second week in June).

I hate when this happens: just after making the reservation, I received one big job, to be completed the day before leaving (I'm not sure how I will manage packing!) and then a second, which is the one
... See more
Hi everybody,

I'm writing mostly to vent my frustration but also to know how you manage your holidays.

I've just had to refuse a big project from a regular client because a few days ago I made a reservation for a holiday with my family (second week in June).

I hate when this happens: just after making the reservation, I received one big job, to be completed the day before leaving (I'm not sure how I will manage packing!) and then a second, which is the one I had to refuse.

Now I'm thinking it might have been a good idea, since I had the choice to go on holiday in July instead of June, to ask my regular clients if they had jobs coming BEFORE making the reservation.

How do you manage this kind o problem? Do you email your regular clients to let them know about your plans and the fact that you can change them in case they have jobs ready for you?

Ciao,
Cristina
Collapse

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
My regular clients know about my holidays... May 29, 2014

Hi!

My regular clients know a few weeks before when I am going to take a holiday, but I also know when their big projects come around and so I can planify.

Little projects I accept also on holidays and work therefore 2 or 3 hours in the evening, for a good client sometimes even more...

Concerning real big projects coming up surprisingly during my holiday I do cooperate with other freelancers in order not to loose the client.

Andrea

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:06
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My regular clients know about my holidays May 29, 2014

Like Andrea, my regular clients know about my holidays well in advance. Besides that since my children are all grown up and left the nest years ago I no longer take “real” vacations and prefer long weekends every so often: I haven't taken more than a whole week since my youngest daughter left home = some 13 years ago. Anyway, I always take my notebook with me to check my emails and all phone calls are redirected to my mobile. In the meanwhile if something big happens to come my way, I try to... See more
Like Andrea, my regular clients know about my holidays well in advance. Besides that since my children are all grown up and left the nest years ago I no longer take “real” vacations and prefer long weekends every so often: I haven't taken more than a whole week since my youngest daughter left home = some 13 years ago. Anyway, I always take my notebook with me to check my emails and all phone calls are redirected to my mobile. In the meanwhile if something big happens to come my way, I try to negotiate the deadline...Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:06
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Use the Calendar May 29, 2014

I update the Calendar on my Proz page, every week, and I periodically remind my clients to check it.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Send a mail out in advance May 29, 2014

First of all, it is probably inevitable that you have to turn down work because you are on holiday. You probably need the holiday, and you will work better after it.

Send your clients a mail a few weeks or a month before you go, and send them another one when you get back. A brief, friendly reminder that you exist, and I sometimes attach a picture of a view I have seen with my greetings.
It is a quick and effective form of marketing. Then enjoy your holiday with a good conscie
... See more
First of all, it is probably inevitable that you have to turn down work because you are on holiday. You probably need the holiday, and you will work better after it.

Send your clients a mail a few weeks or a month before you go, and send them another one when you get back. A brief, friendly reminder that you exist, and I sometimes attach a picture of a view I have seen with my greetings.
It is a quick and effective form of marketing. Then enjoy your holiday with a good conscience!

I sometimes get the impression before big holidays, that clients tidy up their desks and plan the time after their own holidays. This often includes sending extra projects off for translation, in the hope that you will have them ready when they get back!

Some years in December, not only have I done a normal month's work in the first three weeks, but I have had a report or a marketing campaign to translate ready for the New Year, and simply refused to take on any more. The pattern is not quite so clear in the summer, but I have had one or two clients mailing to book me as soon as I came home!

On the other hand, if you take your holiday slightly off season and are back again when everyone else is away, it can be an excellent chance to pick up new clients. That is why I remind my favourite clients when I am back!

And for packing: make a list of the things you must remember, and make sure you have done the washing etc. a couple of days before you go away.
Then you can pack very quickly at the last minute - I have done that on numerous occasions!

Take a deep breath and plan ahead... And have a great holiday!
Collapse

Cristina Lo Bianco
Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 31, 2014

Thanks to everybody for your advice.

I think in the future I will let know my regular clients when I am planning to go on holiday. Maybe, if they know in advance, they can reschedule projects. Also, if they tell me they are going to need me for a big project, I can decide if I whant to reschedule my holiday.

For the time being, actually I think I really need the holiday, so I'll try not to be bothered by the lost job.

Thanks again!
Cristina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Holydays and big projects

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »