How to get one's working hours from social media posts
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jun 12, 2014

Hello everyone

Some of my participation on Facebook is part of my freelance work, most notably posting advice and comments on language and translation related groups and pages. For my administration I would therefore like to make a list of all the dates and times that I had posted on such groups or pages. I've come up with a rough and ready method, and it would be interesting to hear if it works for you as well. Or if you know of a better method, please let me know.

FACEBOOK
To get a list of dates/times for work-related Facebook groups and pages:
http://wikisend.com/download/176436/getfacebookhours.zip
This involves visiting a Facebook page, lots of scrolling, and processing the saved file with the script.

GOOGLE GROUPS
To get a list of dates/times for work-related Google Groups messages:
http://wikisend.com/download/161490/getgooglegroupshours.zip
This involves multiple steps, including having to wait for the script to interact with the browser.

YAHOO GROUPS
To get a list of dates/times for work-related Yahoo Groups messages:
http://wikisend.com/download/189934/getyahoogroupshours.zip
This involves multiple steps, including having to wait for the script to interact with the browser.

GMAIL etc
If you're using a single Gmail mailbox for work, you can get a list of dates/times by downloading the Gmail to Thunderbird (e.g. using IMAP) and then copying the mails with you as sender to a "local folder", and then using the extension "Add-On ImportExportTools-2.7.2.2.xpi" (or similar) to generate an HTML file listing for the mails.

LOCAL FILES (system modification dates)
If you know that the files on your computer still have their original modification dates, then I can recommend the free version of Directory-List-Print-Pro_2.30.zip (or other version). Files that were recovered from backups or online mailboxes no longer have their original modification dates, but files inside ZIP files (also from backups) often still have their original modification dates. The Thunderbird extension attachmentextractor-1.3.5.1-tb.xpi can be used to extract all attachments from selected mails. Only the files inside ZIP files among those extracted attachments may still have their original modification dates, though.

Samuel


[Edited at 2014-06-12 16:21 GMT]


 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jun 12, 2014

[duplicate]

[Edited at 2014-06-12 15:18 GMT]


 

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:18
English to Spanish
... Jun 12, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:
Some of my participation on Facebook is part of my freelance work, most notably posting advice and comments on language and translation related groups and pages.


Why do you need to keep track of the time you spend doing those things on Facebook? Do you charge somebody for that time, do you declare it as a business expense or you do it simply to keep track of your time?

[Edited at 2014-06-12 16:48 GMT]


 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For tax purposes Jun 12, 2014

Miguel Carmona wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Some of my participation on Facebook is part of my freelance work, most notably posting advice and comments on language and translation related groups and pages.

Why do you need to keep track of the time you spend doing those things on Facebook? Do you charge somebody for that time, do you declare it as a business expense or you do it simply to keep track of your time?


In my current country of residence, I can get a tax discount if I spend more than a certain number of hours doing work-related activities (which includes translation, but also includes time spent on admin, on education, on research, on meeting other professionals, etc). This tax discount does not apply to hobbyists. Participation on social media does count towards those hours, if it is truly work-related.

I suppose I also do this to get an idea of when I had busy days.

Added: Oh, and in my particular case, I lost about 15 months' of records due to a hard drive crash and a failed backup solution, so it's nice to be able to rebuild some records of time spent, from stuff that's available online.


[Edited at 2014-06-12 15:51 GMT]


 

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Downloading the facebook one now! Jun 12, 2014

Thanks! I don't get any tax breaks, that I know of, but this would be helpful for some of my non-translation related work.

Thanks for sharingicon_smile.gif


 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Facebook one Jun 12, 2014

Triston & Gaby wrote:
But this would be helpful for some of my non-translation related work.


Please note that this doesn't download the actual posts -- I have tried time and again to come up with scripts that will download the actual posts but it's likely to be a lot of work. The script described in this thread is for getting dates/times only. Well, actually, it also gets the URLs of the individual posts, but it doesn't actually get the posts for you.


 

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:18
English to Spanish
... Jun 12, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

Miguel Carmona wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Some of my participation on Facebook is part of my freelance work, most notably posting advice and comments on language and translation related groups and pages.

Why do you need to keep track of the time you spend doing those things on Facebook? Do you charge somebody for that time, do you declare it as a business expense or you do it simply to keep track of your time?


In my current country of residence, I can get a tax discount if I spend more than a certain number of hours doing work-related activities (which includes translation, but also includes time spent on admin, on education, on research, on meeting other professionals, etc). This tax discount does not apply to hobbyists. Participation on social media does count towards those hours, if it is truly work-related.


You are lucky. In the US, none of that time is allowed to get a tax discount, only actual money you spend, for instance, on materials, training, tax preparer fees, etc.

I am sure the methods you shared here will be useful for many people who need or want to keep track of the time spent on those activities.


 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually, I'm unlucky Jun 12, 2014

Miguel Carmona wrote:
You are lucky. In the US, none of that time is allowed to get a tax discount, only actual money you spend, for instance, on materials, training, tax preparer fees, etc.


So, actually, I'm unlucky, because if I don't get the required number of hours, I can't get discounts for any of the other things you mention either.


 

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:18
English to Spanish
... Jun 12, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

Miguel Carmona wrote:
You are lucky. In the US, none of that time is allowed to get a tax discount, only actual money you spend, for instance, on materials, training, tax preparer fees, etc.


So, actually, I'm unlucky, because if I don't get the required number of hours, I can't get discounts for any of the other things you mention either.


A typical tax code catch 22, then! They always get us, one way or another.icon_frown.gif


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get one's working hours from social media posts

Advanced search







PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search