Are job applicants victims of stolen identity?
Thread poster: KuaLanx

KuaLanx  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:01
Chinese to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 19, 2014

There have been forum posts about this topic before: the huge number of CV's you get sent to you if you are also an outsourcer. I had made a folder in my email program and had all the CV's move there automatically, but now I've changed the destination to trash bin, because I suspect very few of these CV's are actually sent by the translators themselves. Fortunately the rule I have created to filter them out is almost 100% accurate now. (Anyone interested in the rule I've created: I'm sorry, I'm not posting that online, I worry it might help them bypass my beautiful automated filter...)

So my question: are the rightful owners of all these CV's that I find in my inbox actually victims of stolen identity? That's hundreds if not thousands of people... Just the ones that have reached my inbox. That is very scary. Why do I think they may be victims of stolen identity? Just some points:

- Almost all the email addresses contain a random number behind the name (which looks like it can't be a birth year).
- They all have gmail or other free email addresses
- The cover letters are almost all very bad
- They all translate into and from at least 4 languages

I would really like to be able to inform all those good translators (many of whom have quite nice CV's) that their identity has been stolen. But then they might also not be real people, or they might be scammers, and besides I'd have a full-time job trying to hunt them down & contact them.

Is it actually a known fact that all these CV's are stolen, are these translators actually scammers themselves, what do you think? Any idea what we could do against this? I hardly send my CV to anyone nowadays, unless I'm pretty sure they're legit.

[Edited at 2014-06-19 15:45 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

AnthonyLee  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:01
Russian to English
+ ...
A Growing Problem Jun 19, 2014

I also receive many CV's almost everyday. Many of them from dubious sources. I'm not concerned about the use of free e-mail services, however, Most of the CVs that I receive contain almost the same exact wording, e-mail address host, subject line, and a few other similarities.

I used to try to find the true owner of the CV, however, it took up too much. Now, I just delete them. The very few real CV's that I do receive, usually come from a few sources. However, I prefer to contact a fellow colleague if I am in need of proofreading or translating services.

xxxnrichy
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Have a look here Jun 19, 2014

http://www.translator-scammers.com/

No comments.

[Edited at 2014-06-19 22:53 GMT]

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:01
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not only outsourcers Jun 20, 2014

I am not an outsourcer but I get at least 3-5 of these emails every day. I have never looked at any of the resumes - I never open attachments from people I don't know. I also don't want to respond in any way, because I assume these are mass emails and I don't want to out my address. So I send them to the 'junk box', that's all I can think of doing. I have set my email program to do that automatically if it has the word 'translator' in the subject line.

Netherlands
Chinese to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
so some of them are known scammers Jun 21, 2014

nrichy wrote:

http://www.translator-scammers.com/

No comments.

[Edited at 2014-06-19 22:53 GMT]

I checked the first 5 in my inbox against that website, and number 5 was listed there. So that website lists 20% of the total? Interesting.

@ Tina Vonhof "Not only outsourcers":
Actually I should say I'm not one either, I just outsourced 2 or 3 jobs in the past when I knew I could handle the risk. I thought maybe that got picked up by scammers somehow...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Help fighting it! Jun 21, 2014

Clearly 99% of CVs we get are stolen identities.

May I suggest that you actively contribute to fighting this kind of spam by reporting such emails to blacklists, for instance to spamcop.net?

Here you can read more: http://www.spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml

João Roque Dias
Portugal
Local time: 18:01
English to Portuguese
If you found new scammers... Jun 22, 2014

Report them, and give them the Internet footprint they don't have:

http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-contacts.htm

Netherlands
Chinese to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
would love to help rid the industry of this, but ... Jun 25, 2014

I have downloaded a list of scammer's mail addresses from the website www.translator-scammers.com and added all of them to my blocked senders list. It helps (20%).

However, for the remaining emails that I still get, I don't believe there is an actual fix. Yes, I can manually add them to my blocked senders one by one. But that doesn't help the industry and therefore I won't spend time on it.

I could also report them 1 by 1, but that is time consuming AND some bona fide translators might suffer. A beginner in the industry might end up listed as a scammer just because they had a couple of typos in their cover letter and because I thought their nationality and native language don't match, for example. (Nowadays, one can easily have a native language that doesn't match his/her passport, and people born to parents who moved to places all over the world are also more likely to live in a third country, you just don't know.)

However, if I look back at the question I used to start this topic, whether they are ALL victims of stolen identity, it would help to know.. If they were, I could report ALL of them automatically to somewhere where there's some kind of checking mechanism in place... But I guess this is not realistic.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are job applicants victims of stolen identity?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search