"Official translation agency" and document certification process
Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:09
Italian to English
Jun 26, 2014

I was not sure where to post this, so please bear with me; moderators please feel free to move my post if need be!

I have just completed my degree in nursing at the University of Bologna, and a classmate of mine is currently going through the process of registering with the NMC (Nursing and Midwifery Council) in the UK, to enable him to work in Britain.

The application process requires the translation of various documents, and the instructions issued by the NMC state the following:

"The translations must have been verified as authentic by an official translation agency or by your embassy."

What precisely do they mean by "official translation agency" in this case?

It also says "All of the documents set out above must be certified photocopies." Can anyone tell me how photocopies are certified in the UK?

If someone could tell me how the process of swearing a translation works in the UK, I would be very grateful. My friend is looking for a reliable freelancer or trusted agency who could do this job for him (translation of certificates/documents and subsequent swearing of the same), therefore please feel free to contact me in private if you have any recommendations.

Thank you in advance!

[Edited at 2014-06-26 17:09 GMT]


Paulo Eduardo - Pro Knowledge  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:09
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
An agency approved with sworn traslators. Jun 26, 2014



Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:09
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
ITI-qualified translators Jun 26, 2014

Hi Fiona,

The ITI has some guidelines about certified translations. The info here may help: http://www.iti.org.uk/about-industry/certification-sworn

I'm an MITI and quite often do these sorts of jobs. However, as the NMC specifies an official agency as opposed to a translator, your friend may wish to follow the instructions to the letter rather than approaching a freelancer.

Best wishes,



Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:09
Member (2007)
+ ...
Notary-approved? Jun 26, 2014

I don't know much about this subject but I do see that there's a filter on the company directory here on ProZ.com to search for "Notary approved" companies. http://www.proz.com/translation-agencies?p=1

It may (or may not) be what you're looking for.


Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:09
Italian to English
Great info Jun 26, 2014

Thank you Becky and Sheila! I will check those out.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.


James Hodges  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:09
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Certified Documents Jun 27, 2014

I would assume that certified translations in this case means documents that are translated by a recognized body. For example, if you have a driving license from Country A, and you are able to transfer it across to Country B rather than going through the whole driving school gig again, in order to apply for the driving license in Country B, you have to get the license from Country A translated by a recognized translator. At least that is how it used to work in Japan.

On the issue of certified copies, you might want to contact the closest British diplomatic post. Way back when, when applying for citizenship, etc., from overseas (say a British child born overseas), you had to go to the closest British diplomatic mission and have those documents that needed to be submitted copied in the presence of a diplomat (usually in the consular section). It might well be the case these days as well. Then again, it might just be quicker to ring up a British mission and clarify this point before traipsing off to see them. The other option might be to have your friend approach the university and have them issued certified copies under the common seal of the university.




LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:09
Russian to English
+ ...
If it is for any education-related certification, Jun 28, 2014

usually only certain agencies (often associated with universities) are "approved". You may want to look for a list of institutions authorized to translate eduction records in the UK.

[Edited at 2014-06-28 12:26 GMT]


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Official translation agency" and document certification process

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search