Client response time
Thread poster: Ricardo Nance

Ricardo Nance  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2014

Is there a reasonable time limit wherein an outsourcer must notify a translator if his quote has been accepted or not? Or are we supposed to remain in the dark.

If the latter, how does one avoid the problem of making a number of quotes in hopes of landing SOMETHING, with the possibility then of having too many projects accepted at the same time?

Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:36
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Time response Jul 7, 2014

Ricardo Nance wrote:

Is there a reasonable time limit wherein an outsourcer must notify a translator if his quote has been accepted or not? Or are we supposed to remain in the dark.

If the latter, how does one avoid the problem of making a number of quotes in hopes of landing SOMETHING, with the possibility then of having too many projects accepted at the same time?

Ricardo,

After submitting quotes I usually wait for 24 hours. If the quote involves a Test, some companies ask for a deadline, say, replying within a week with test results and potential proposal.

As far as I've seen, most companies never reply. If communication is done through proZ, a few clients send me some automatic denials.

icon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2014-07-07 14:57 GMT]

Phoebe Indetzki  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:36
German to English
+ ...
No response Jul 7, 2014

In my experience, very few outsourcers actually respond at all to decline a quote.

If I haven't had a positive response within a couple of hours (assuming we're in the same time zone), I can be 99% sure the job has been assigned elsewhere.

Unless you're bidding on multiple huge volume projects, I can't see any problem with bidding on more than one job at the same time. As a rule, bidding or no bidding, I find my work tends to come in cycles - some weeks will end up being completely manic, other weeks I have far less work and can finally do some gardening insteadicon_smile.gif

Best regards

Phoebe

Ricardo Nance  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU Jul 7, 2014

Thank you both for your helpful responses.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:36
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Your quote isn't contractual Jul 7, 2014

You aren't committed to actually doing the work, just because you've quoted on it; any more than the client is bound to accept your work if all they've done is send you the text for evaluation and quote. Nothing is contractual until terms have been agreed and the client has given the go-ahead - which I insist on seeing in black and white from new clients.

It's a pain when you quote on several jobs and they all want you to do the work - at the same time. "Feast or famine" is the freelancer's lot. Just politely explain to the less tempting jobs that you have since committed to do other work. But make sure the job you want is committed to first or you could end up with nothing!

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:36
Member (2008)
French to English
First come first served. Jul 8, 2014

Ricardo Nance wrote:

I always say it's first come first served, and that's spelled out in my T&C. No commitment arises from a quote until I have both the document and the order confirmation in hand.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client response time

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search