A US based agency asks for my Social Security #
Thread poster: Guylaine Ingram

Guylaine Ingram  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:26
English to French
Dec 4, 2004

Hello everyone,

I am based in the US and I have a US based client (an agency) requesting my Social Security number. They need it for taxes purposes. Shouldn't my EIN be sufficient? I am very cautious as far as giving out my SS#. What do you think?

Thank you in advance and have a wonderful weekend!!

Direct link Reply with quote

ntext  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Fill out a W9 Dec 4, 2004

If you render the info required on the W9, you should be fine. The form states:

Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
Enter your TIN in the appropriate box. The TIN provided must match the name given on Line 1 to avoid backup withholding. For individuals, this is your social security number (SSN). However, for a resident alien, sole proprietor, or disregarded entity, see the Part I instructions on page 3. For other entities, it is
your employer identification number (EIN).

And further down (on page 3):

If you are a sole proprietor and you have an EIN, you may
enter either your SSN or EIN. However, the IRS prefers that
you use your SSN.

In other words, if you do have an EIN, you are entitled to give them only your EIN and not your SSN.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

xxxIreneN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
You must provide it Dec 4, 2004

No EIN is sufficient - they report your income to the tax authorities, and when you are self-employed the SSN# is the only thing the IRS goes by - SSN# is your taxpayer ID unless you have a registered business with a separate taxpayer ID and the check goes to your business.

SSN# is an integral part of the invoice in the US, or as a minimum an integral part of each translator entry in their accounting database.

United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
ok but... Dec 4, 2004

I see but they are the only one asking for my SS# and I have worked for many US based agencies that never asked for it. Hum...

Why not contact a Social Security Office Dec 4, 2004

Guylaine Ingram wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am based in the US and I have a US based client (an agency) requesting my Social Security number. They need it for taxes purposes. Shouldn't my EIN be sufficient? I am very cautious as far as giving out my SS#. What do you think?

Thank you in advance and have a wonderful weekend!!

Why not contact a local Social Security Office and get your information from the horse's mouth? - so to speak.

Gisela Greenlee  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
SS # Dec 4, 2004

By law, all companies are required to have a W-9 on file for individuals or companies they do business with and pay $400.00 or more to over the course of one year. There are probably many companies that do not comply with this or simply are ignorant of the law, but it is a requirement. Most companies will send you a W-9 to fill out even if they do not initially expect to have $400.00 worth of invoicing, and if at year-end it is below they threshold, they are not required to report it to IRS.

xxxsarahl
Local time: 20:26
English to French
+ ...
I'm surprised Dec 4, 2004

Guylaine Ingram wrote:

they are the only one asking for my SS#

Hello neighbor!

I am surprised to hear this. All the US agencies I work for had me fill a W-9 with my SSN, and at the end of every year they send me a W-? (forgot!) informing me of how much they paid me that year and they were reporting to the IRS. One of them even asked for a copy of my business license because I am not using my name, I registered a DBA with the Secretary of State.

Anyway, it's common practice.
My two cents.
Saaaruh

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
No big deal Dec 4, 2004

Hi Guylaine --

My SSN is on all my invoices to US customers. It always seemed normal to me. I had a lot more trouble with the idea of giving my bank account number to Europe-based customers. Here, you never give your bank account number -- unless you're hired fulltime and want direct deposit.

Agencies vary a lot. Some make you sign extensive contracts or agreements, some none at all. Some send you a W2, some don't, regardless of what they've paid you during the year.

Best,
Esther

xxxIreneN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Request for an additional info Dec 5, 2004

Guylaine Ingram wrote:

I see but they are the only one asking for my SS# and I have worked for many US based agencies that never asked for it. Hum...

I'm puzzled...

Guylaine, are you saying that they ask for both EIN and SSN and that you operate as a corporation (DBA still required your SSN)?. Because if not, you must be living in the 51st state:-). Sorry, no pun intended.

Are the checks cut on your name or the business name? Do you deposit them to you personal or business account?

And finally, if you are incorporated, maybe there is a misunderstanding of this aspect on the agency's behalf? In any case, all my clients have my SSN even though for some of them I'm a corporation and once in a while I still go as self-employed with other clients.

I hope I'm not scaring you with my questions - I'm no IRS and do not ask for any numbers:-).

Cheers,
Irina

United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Sole Proprietor Dec 5, 2004

Hi Irina,

No don't worry you're not scaring me I am just grateful for all the replies. It seems it is common practice to give out SS. I was initially thinking of giving them my EIN instead of SS but based on everyone comments, I feel more confident now giving out my SS. I function as a sole proprietor.

Thank you

United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you ... Dec 5, 2004

all for taking the time to respond and sharing your experience.

Guylaine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A US based agency asks for my Social Security #

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search