Transcription - how to charge?
Thread poster: Anai Betancourt

Anai Betancourt  Identity Verified
Guatemala
Local time: 15:44
English to Spanish
Aug 4, 2014

A customer is quoting a 2-stage project with me. The first stage consists of transcribing a 24-minute long audio file. Can someone provide tips as to how this is calculated and/or charged? By the minute, etc.? Help much needed and appreciated!

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:44
Member (2015)
German to English
Take a look at the chart in this link. Aug 4, 2014

Hi Anai,

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/67470-general_audio_transcription_translation_rates.html

There are a number of discussions on this topic all more or less saying that transcription is not to be underestimated. The chart contained in the link above is extremely useful and I used it to make a quote to a client of mine. I didn't get the job however, presumably because I was too expensive but if you have never seen or heard the source file it is extremely difficult to know what you are letting yourself in for.

Perhaps that may be of interest to you in calculating your own rate. I decided the risk I would be taking should pay off in monetary terms and I was not prepared to cut my price.

Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
You can find more by browsing the site Aug 5, 2014

This is a link to the same question you have. you might find it useful.

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/272876-how_much_do_you_charge_for_transcription_services.html

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't commit... Aug 5, 2014

...to anything until you hear it all. If you do, you will probably regret it. If the client does not like that, the forget that client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription - how to charge?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search