UK - Self-assessment - Where to put the work you outsourced?
Thread poster: TRADL
TRADL
TRADL
France
Local time: 15:39
English to French
+ ...
Dec 8, 2004

Hi all,

I've given a few jobs to colleagues this year due to being too busy etc. and was wondering where to put the amounts in my tax return in April as I've never had to do that before. Thanks for your help!

TRADL

Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation
Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
sole trader or limited company? Dec 8, 2004

TRADL wrote:

Hi all,

I've given a few jobs to colleagues this year due to being too busy etc. and was wondering where to put the amounts in my tax return in April as I've never had to do that before. Thanks for your help!

TRADL

Hello TRADL,

Are you a self-employed or a limited company? I am a self-employed (sole trader), and my accountant considers the outsorcing job as normal expenses. He hasn't put the amounts in the tax return itself as there is no field for this. However, in my balance sheet (this is just an internal document) he has an outsourcing entry.

If you are limited company, we better wait for other colleagues' advice as I don't have information about it.

Hope this helps.

Cecilia Coopman
English/Spanish Translator
www.CentosTranslations.com

TRADL
TRADL
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sole trader Dec 8, 2004

To reply to Cecilia's question. I'm a sole trader and I don't have a balance sheet. Which category does it go in though as the "normal expenses" you mention? Thanks!

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Cost of sales, I think Dec 8, 2004

TRADL wrote:

To reply to Cecilia's question. I'm a sole trader and I don't have a balance sheet. Which category does it go in though as the "normal expenses" you mention? Thanks!

Hi,

I have always put this under 'Cost of sales' on the basis that it is a direct cost attaching to the delivery of a particular job, rather than a general overhead expense.

TRADL
TRADL
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to both of you Dec 8, 2004

Thanks! That's all I needed to know.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK - Self-assessment - Where to put the work you outsourced?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »