Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:17
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yep, all true Feb 5, 2015

Preston Decker wrote:

Yes, that's all correct. I'm not sure what's going to happen with big Chinese companies. Presumably the electronics companies will eventually get some proper translators in - though Japanese and Korean translator still seem alarmingly happy to mess up their user manuals. And companies which want legal/financial work done will have to get their documents translated properly, so I expect to see Chinese banks bringing more high quality business to the markets in the medium term. Chinese solar manufacturers, maybe?

But the continuing failure of China's mittelstand to be able to present themselves professionally to the outside world remains a problem. I can't see much high end business coming from there.

One small tech point:
Would I be able to find actual information on Baidu, and not a list of advertisements, if Baidu had to compete directly against Google? I’m betting yes.

I'm not sure that's true. Did you know that both Yahoo and Microsoft offer search services? They aren't sheltered by the GFW, and still they can't put together a decent page of search results. For the time being, Google has an undeniable technical edge that no-one can match. But I do think that the other internet services would improve rapidly - QQ and WeChat show that China can do internet.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:47
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Chinese to English translation market may already have peaked a few years ago Feb 6, 2015

Preston Decker wrote:

So to me, the biggest problem in the CN-EN pair (and I think this is where a lot of the comparative lack of high-end demand comes from) is that we are essentially missing a large chunk of what should be our primary client base. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but my impression is that there is a far higher percentage of German or French companies willing to pay high into English rates than Chinese companies. For CN>EN, a few of the industry leaders in China have realized that they need professionally done translations and are willing to pay high rates. Then there’s a smaller segment of mid-level companies that want native English on their websites, and are willing to pay the bare minimum needed to get a "decent" translator, and then a vast majority of companies that either can't afford/don't want anything other than Chinglish on their websites or don't know enough to know that this is exactly what they're getting.

I think your reading of the tea leaves is essentially correct – the client base for Chinese to English translations is weak. It is so with Hindi to English translations too. The real market is in the other direction - from English to Hindi, and perhaps from English to Chinese.

The reason is obvious – today China is the best performing economy in the world and everyone is keen to sell there. So the major translation requirement is from English to Chinese rather than in the other direction.

From what little I know of China, most of the manufacturing done there is owned by foreign companies who use China as a base for manufacturing to take advantage of cheap wages there. Since these are not Chinese companies, they generate much less original Chinese material requiring translation into English. And the main market for the products they manufacture is China itself, and so the need for Chinese to English translation is again very limited.

And I feel this situation is only going to worsen, as China is making a conscious shift from being an export-oriented nation vulnerable to external economic factors, to one that is more self-sufficient. In other words, it is developing its own internal markets, and is consuming a lot more of the high-end products that are being manufactured there, both by foreign companies, as well as by its own indigenous companies.

This has become socially important too, as the Chinese are becoming increasingly affluent and restive about the tight control exercised by the government over their lives. The government there is feeling the need to relax control to avoid a social revolution and a challenge to their authority. This also makes prudent economic policy, as China cannot expect to grow at 10% a year indefinitely.

These economic and social factors too could have a possible bearing on the slump in the Chinese to English translation market – it seems to be a fragile market which already may have peaked a few years ago, as the export-oriented Chinese companies now turn more and more inward towards China itself for the sale of their products.

[Edited at 2015-02-06 03:15 GMT]

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:17
Chinese to English
Much will depend on a few policymakers' decisions Feb 6, 2015

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

I think your reading of the tea leaves is essentially correct – the client base for Chinese to English translations is weak. It is so with Hindi to English translations too. The real market is in the other direction - from English to Hindi, and perhaps from English to Chinese.

The reason is obvious – today China is the best performing economy in the world and everyone is keen to sell there. So the major translation requirement is from English to Chinese rather than in the other direction.

From what little I know of China, most of the manufacturing done there is owned by foreign companies who use China as a base for manufacturing to take advantage of cheap wages there. Since these are not Chinese companies, they generate much less original Chinese material requiring translation into English. And the main market for the products they manufacture is China itself, and so the need for Chinese to English translation is again very limited.

And I feel this situation is only going to worsen, as China is making a conscious shift from being an export-oriented nation vulnerable to external economic factors, to one that is more self-sufficient. In other words, it is developing its own internal markets, and is consuming a lot more of the high-end products that are being manufactured there, both by foreign companies, as well as by its own indigenous companies.

This has become socially important too, as the Chinese are becoming increasingly affluent and restive about the tight control exercised by the government over their lives. The government there is feeling the need to relax control to avoid a social revolution and a challenge to their authority. This also makes prudent economic policy, as China cannot expect to grow at 10% a year indefinitely.

These economic and social factors too could have a possible bearing on the slump in the Chinese to English translation market – it seems to be a fragile market which already may have peaked a few years ago, as the export-oriented Chinese companies now turn more and more inward towards China itself for the sale of their products.

[Edited at 2015-02-06 03:15 GMT]

A few thoughts:
--Yes, you're right, English to Chinese is indeed a different animal from CN-EN. There is a great deal of demand, but also an overabundance of supply, much of which is not of very high quality.

--Regarding the Chinese economy, as you said, the government is indeed trying to switch away from a low-tech manufacturing-based export economy to something else. However, I'm not sure there's agreement in the government over what exactly that something else is. If you read official, and certainly corporate, documents you get the sense that the gov't would like China to become a high-tech exporter like the US. And there is some policy support behind this, for example the creation of the Shanghai Free Trade Zone last year. On the other hand, there are many policies, like the currency controls and the firewall, that serve to achieve the exact opposite result.

So, while I think there is general agreement in the gov't. that China should be more self-reliant for its domestic services and products (thus the protectionist measures in many areas),I don't think there is a consensus in the government as to what direction they want to go in the future regarding China's place in the world's economy.

I disagree that China has peaked in its economic contribution and openness to the world, but I do think we may have seen a short-term peak, and that there could be a 15-30 year downturn before the true peak (and as you said, a correspondingdownturn for CN-EN translations). Then again, change can occur very quickly, and perhaps in five years China will be off to the races internationally, and us CN-EN translators will all be very happy.

Basically I'm not sure. I tend to think that democratic countries are much easier to make predictions for than top-down nations like China, as so much of China's foreign policy depends on the plans of a few individuals (as opposed to China's domestic policy planning, which is surprisingly much more decentralized than people think).

--Phil, good point, though I think that even Yahoo is a step up from Baidu (as I'm signed up with Yahoo Business Mail I actually start most of my searches in Yahoo and only go to google when Yahoo fails). Yahoo News, on the other hand, is a whole 'nother story...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Watching your clients advertise for (cheaper) translators

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »