Translation job in Germany
Thread poster: ngmcd

ngmcd
Ireland
Local time: 06:02
German to English
Feb 24, 2015

Apologies - I couldn't find a more appropriate forum for this issue.

I'd be grateful for some advice. I'm going to Germany next week for an interview for a translator position in a German public sector body (BaFin). It also involves a 2 hour translation test.
1. Does anyone have experience of doing an interview for a full-time, i.e. in-house, translator position, including doing a test? Would the interview focus more on experience as a translator rather than general personal attributes, etc?
2. For German speakers - I actually have never done an interview in German. I'm not sure how different they are to interviews here. For example, is an interview panel of 2-3 people common? How would it be structured.
Any advice/tips appreciated.

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:02
English to French
+ ...
just a suggestion ... Feb 25, 2015

I suppose the test is to asses your translation skills, and the interview will be more focused on comportemental skills, like team working, management, etc. Maybe also some understanding of the local legal system. But this is only my guessicon_wink.gif I don't work in Germany.

I suggest that you post in German on the German forum, where you are more likely to find translators living in Germany.

[Edited at 2015-02-25 10:01 GMT]

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:02
German to English
German interviews... Feb 25, 2015

are more formal than in UK and concentrate more on subject matter than personalities. I say that after interviewing and being interviewed both in the UK and Germany. They will be looking for a stable person who will reliably work for them over a longer time period than in UK. I remember when I was looking for my first job in Germany and living in UK, the greatest trouble for the German companies was that I might, firstly not come on the appointed date and secondly that I would get homesick and return to the UK after a short time. I never did find a job that way. I first moved to Germany and then very quickly found a job and have never been out of work since then, first as an employee and later as a freelancer.

What's the purpose of you applying for the job? Do you want to live in Germany or do you just need a job? If it's the former then you will eventually find a job, but if it is the latter I would just forget it. I've lived for over 20 years in Germany and love it, I would never go back to UK. I have lots of expats as friends, not just Brits though other nationalities too, who live in Germany and none of them would ever go back.

Best of luck with the interview.

Ben

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation job in Germany

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search