Thoughts for video game translators
Thread poster: Triston Goodwin

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 9, 2015

This past week, several game development engines - Unity3d, Unreal Engine, etc... - have been released free of charge (mostly) to the public. This seemed like a really interesting opportunity for those of us working primarily with indie developers since I think that, by giving developers access to some of the best tools on the market, we will see a large increase in the number of games coming to market. Additionally, it would make sense to have those games localized in order to reach a broader player base.

Higher demand with such a limited supply of translators could also push more developers to use MT. Of course, the biggest problem when working with indie devs is budget. I have a couple of suggestions regarding that matter as well, but I've already posted them to my blog

What do you think? Will I finally be able to buy my yacht?

Direct link Reply with quote

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 16:02
Japanese to English
Still no money in the system Mar 9, 2015

Triston Goodwin wrote:

Of course, the biggest problem when working with indie devs is budget. I have a couple of suggestions regarding that matter as well, but I've already posted them to my blog

That's just it, isn't it? Just because they have access to better dev tools doesn't mean they have more money to spend on localization. Link to your blog?

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree Mar 9, 2015

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei wrote:

Triston Goodwin wrote:

Of course, the biggest problem when working with indie devs is budget. I have a couple of suggestions regarding that matter as well, but I've already posted them to my blog

That's just it, isn't it? Just because they have access to better dev tools doesn't mean they have more money to spend on localization. Link to your blog?

I completely agree. I think this might help push some developers towards localization, just to stand out in a more saturated market, but that's just a speculation based on another speculation.

The post in question can be found here: http://www.opl10nt9n.com/blog/video-game-translation-industry-in-2015-52-things-im-doing

I'm trying to figure out how/if some sort of non-traditional payment scheme could be used, but it's difficult finding a program that works for everyone. The idea of a royalty, for example, interests me, but it would have to be used with a lot of caution as many games don't make much money. Unless we want to get in to marketing games, too.

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 16:02
Japanese to English
Marketing games Mar 9, 2015

That sounds like what Playism is doing (http://www.playism-games.com/creators/en/about.html) - localizing, publishing and promoting indie games in return for both an upfront fee and a cut of the profits (http://www.playism-games.com/creators/en/contract.html).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thoughts for video game translators

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search