Urgent: Advice required with certified and sworn translations in the UK
Thread poster: corinne durand

corinne durand  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:46
English to French
+ ...
May 17, 2002


I am looking for some information on the above. A client approached me asking for a certified translation which probably will also have to be sworn before a notary public. Is it OK for me to look for a fellow translator in the relevant languages and ask them to certify my translation, and what happens next with the sworn part? Can I go to a notary with the relevant translation qualifications, even if they do not understand one of the languages? The documents are for the US. I have seen previous forum postings about the situation in other countries, but could not see anything definite for the UK. I have read the ITI site article about it, but it hasn\'t really helped me. I also tried to contact a ITI listed translator/solicitor but thay haven\'t answered.

Many thanks in anticipation for your suggestions.


Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:46
German to Italian
+ ...
did you try with the Embassy / Consulate? May 17, 2002

if you contact them for the relevant Countries, I have always found there the most competent and helpful persons who know what is necessary in each Country - and could save you a lot of time. Sometimes they also have their own translators.

Good luck



Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:46
Member (2004)
German to English
Info about certification in the US May 17, 2002


You mentioned that these documents are for the US, so I am not sure what you need UK certification for (and I cannot comment on that), but I can give some info about certified translations that I have done for immigration and university purposes.

First of all, there is a certified translator and then a certified translation. A certified translator has somehow been examined by some institution or organization. This is called accreditation when it is from the ATA and certification when it is from TTIG, The Translators and Interpreters Guild (so far the only organization that I know of that does certification of translators--there might be others). This is also not to be confused with the awarding of a translation certificate from a university here. I happen to be certified by TTIG and I have a translation certificate from a university for example.

Here in the US, a certified translation is just a statement saying that you as the translator certify the document. I can give you an example of what I use if you contact me personally by email. I also then attach a small, wallet-sized copy of my certification (not necessary, but I feel it gives some additional credibility). I also get the document notarized. Also not a requirement for certifying a document, but usually clients that say they want something certified actually mean they want it notarized. So I certify it, and then a notary acknowledges my signature on the certification.

This has been sufficient for immigration/INS purposes here as well as school records for formal evaluation. There is some additional information that you should have if this is for evaluation of school credentials. Again, contact me directly if that is the case. I don\'t want to overload the forum with all this information.

Hope that helps.



PaulaMac (X)
French to English
+ ...
Same in Canada May 17, 2002

I do the same thing in Canada. I have a statutory declaration (prepared by a lawyer) that I complete, stating that I am a translator certified by CTIC (Canadian translation accreditation body) and that the attached translation is true and accurate. I then have the declaration signed and sealed by a lawyer (in his capacity as a notary public), which, as Sonya says, is merely his acknowledgement of my signature. Hope this helps.


Bettina Schewe  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:46
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...

I dont know how it is in UK, but in Uruguay there are \"translators\" and \"sworn translators\" or \"public translator\".

A public translator has an university degree and can certify a translation with the same validity a notar does his job.

You may want to make sure what the customer wants, if it´s just a certification of your signature or if you need to be public translator to do the job.

Good Luck!



Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:46
Member (2004)
German to English
I'm in the UK May 18, 2002

The translator translates the document and takes it and some ID to the notary. In front of the notary he writes on the document \"I confirm that this is a true and accurate translation\" and signs it. The notary then confirms the signature was written in front of him and takes £50-60 from the translator. Nice busy, isn\'t it?

Of course it proves nothing - the translation may be awful and the notary would never know but the client requesting the service has his sworn translation.But that\'s how it is done!


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent: Advice required with certified and sworn translations in the UK

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Your current localization setting


Select a language

  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search