What is the going rate charged by agencies for editing, proofreading?
Thread poster: Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 18:56
English to German
+ ...
Jan 19, 2005

Hello dear colleagues,

how much do translation agencys charge there customer per word in the average.

I also would be interested in the price of editing, proofreading.

Does it vary from country to country?

Thank you all!

Andrea

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-01-19 15:39]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
No simple answer Jan 19, 2005

The rate agencies charge their customers varies not only from country to country, but among agencies within a country or even a city, for that matter.

In many cases the rate an agency charges is based upon its value-added services, such as terminology research, DTP, etc. Some agencies charge less because they only offer translated documents in the common (i.e., MS Office) formats. Some agencies use editors/proofreaders who are experienced translators, others use people with target l
... See more
The rate agencies charge their customers varies not only from country to country, but among agencies within a country or even a city, for that matter.

In many cases the rate an agency charges is based upon its value-added services, such as terminology research, DTP, etc. Some agencies charge less because they only offer translated documents in the common (i.e., MS Office) formats. Some agencies use editors/proofreaders who are experienced translators, others use people with target language grammar skills who make sure the translations have the same types of punctuation as the original documents ("You left out a parenthetical expression!" "I used one word that conveyed the same meaning and integrated it into the sentence."). Skilled translators/editors generally are paid better than monolingual checkers.

Some agencies charge a flat rate for certain types of documents, such as birth certificates, driver's licenses, etc. since they are frequently based upon a template.

I think it's safe to assume that a full-service agency will generally charge its first-time customer about twice what it pays its translators. Large volume customers will be charged less, not because there are economies of scale, but because that's the way competition works.
Collapse

Scott de Lesseps
Scott de Lesseps  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
proofreading rates Jan 19, 2005

Hi Andrea,

A while back I received an offer from a company to proofread French. Unfortunately, since French is not my native language, I was compelled to decline the project. (I also translate only from French to English, since English is my native language.) The lady from the company offered me a rate of $37 U.S. /hr. I thought this seemed rather high, but I think it may be around average for the U.S. I don't know if she would have offered me less for proofreading English or n
... See more
Hi Andrea,

A while back I received an offer from a company to proofread French. Unfortunately, since French is not my native language, I was compelled to decline the project. (I also translate only from French to English, since English is my native language.) The lady from the company offered me a rate of $37 U.S. /hr. I thought this seemed rather high, but I think it may be around average for the U.S. I don't know if she would have offered me less for proofreading English or not. I can't comment on the average for other countries, as I haven't had any offers from them. Good luck!

Regards,

Scott
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
From a different perspective Jan 20, 2005

Lets assume an American company offers me a project for 2000 words which has to be translated from German to English in Trados.

How much money would this contract be worse for an agency if translated by a professional certified translator lets say from US or Canada?

Do experienced translators from Europe make more money per word?
I am trying to establish some pricing so I can act fast upon customers requests.

For now I would like to thank you Kevin a
... See more
Lets assume an American company offers me a project for 2000 words which has to be translated from German to English in Trados.

How much money would this contract be worse for an agency if translated by a professional certified translator lets say from US or Canada?

I am trying to establish some pricing so I can act fast upon customers requests.

For now I would like to thank you Kevin and Scott for giving me some insight.

All the best
Andrea
Collapse

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
Local time: 00:56
French to Dutch
+ ...
One-third of translation prices Jan 20, 2005

Andrea Di Marco wrote:

Generally speaking, irrespective of the country, and assuming the text has been translated in a correct way. But there is a minimum: you can't expect a translator to proofread 200 words for 6 or 8 dollars. 2000 words is just critical: it should take about 2 hours. And 37 $/hour is normal; I think European translators charge between 25 and 40 €.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the going rate charged by agencies for editing, proofreading?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »