Valentina Cafiero
Valentina Cafiero  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:42
Member (2005)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Jan 20, 2005

I want to propose you the case of a job that an Italian agency gave me. It was a kind a job that I have already done in the past. This time it was an excel file with strings so they told me that they couldn't pay it in words as usual, but in hours beacause it was difficult do count. Besides, there were many fuzzy match to be revisioned always payed in hour. I accepeted the job, but I think that it wasn't good for me becasuse the job was quite nasty. Do you think is it right o not?
Thanks i
... See more
I want to propose you the case of a job that an Italian agency gave me. It was a kind a job that I have already done in the past. This time it was an excel file with strings so they told me that they couldn't pay it in words as usual, but in hours beacause it was difficult do count. Besides, there were many fuzzy match to be revisioned always payed in hour. I accepeted the job, but I think that it wasn't good for me becasuse the job was quite nasty. Do you think is it right o not?
Thanks in advance for you suggestions.

Valentina
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Well, for me... Jan 20, 2005

It is the same if a work is paid in hours, words or lines. I know how much I want to have and so I give my quotation. I think always in hours and I extrapolate this "amount" into words or lines.

Rgds

[Edited at 2005-01-20 22:34]

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
not sure what the problem is Jan 20, 2005

You accepted the job, right? It happens to all of us. A job looks straightforward but proves more difficult than we thought. Live and learn... and charge more next time!
Catherine

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agreement with Catherine Jan 20, 2005

Your word is worth more than the unprofitable work you have to suffer through. Smile as you do the work knowing that your honor will remain intact. A good idea might be to just let your client know of the difficulty but you will stick to your promises.

On the other hand, except for some cases, if you call the client asking for more money, rejecting the work, etc. then you lose a piece of your priceless credibility. That piece may be hard to get back.

Good luck!

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:42
French to English
Hourly, so it's fine Jan 20, 2005

I'm not sure either what the problem is. If the job was particularly hard and you had to spend more time on it, then you charge for all the time since you're getting an hourly rate. In fact, I think it's better this way - you probably would have made less if the agency was paying per word. I think you came out the winner in this case.

Sometimes we do get harder jobs, but that's how it goes in this business.

Erika

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Doubts about a job

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »