Thread poster: Hazel Lumb
Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 21:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Test-drive CAT tools - another point you mentioned Sep 15, 2015

Please don't invest in a CAT tool unless you've already tried it, not just because it is convenient for some translation agencies for you to be able to deliver in their format, and therefore easy for them to take hold of your TM...

At least one of the major tools has a demo version which gives you full usage up to a certain capacity.

I worked for many years without any tools, and applied for projects even though they appeared at first to be a sine qua non. Once the agen
... See more
Please don't invest in a CAT tool unless you've already tried it, not just because it is convenient for some translation agencies for you to be able to deliver in their format, and therefore easy for them to take hold of your TM...

At least one of the major tools has a demo version which gives you full usage up to a certain capacity.

I worked for many years without any tools, and applied for projects even though they appeared at first to be a sine qua non. Once the agency decided they wanted my services was when I told them I would only be able to deliver in Word!

However, and in particular for projects in formats such a ppt and pdf, I am now a happy user of a CAT tool.
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:26
English to Polish
+ ...
... Sep 15, 2015

What Texte and Jeff said.

One more thing to say is that the deadline is another numerical competitive variable apart from the price — which can't go much lower than it already has (if any), hence now the timings need to give.

Oh, and perhaps one more: translation is already taking after an even older profession in pleasing the client practically to the point of pleasuring rather. This means the client Must Not Be Questioned and also No Request Is to Be Refuse
... See more
What Texte and Jeff said.

One more thing to say is that the deadline is another numerical competitive variable apart from the price — which can't go much lower than it already has (if any), hence now the timings need to give.

Oh, and perhaps one more: translation is already taking after an even older profession in pleasing the client practically to the point of pleasuring rather. This means the client Must Not Be Questioned and also No Request Is to Be Refused.

There is no talking, no advising, no nothing, just doing the first thing the client says.

I suspect prostitutes negotiate more.
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 03:26
Chinese to English
+ ...
Most translations from new clients Sep 16, 2015

Most translations from agencies that you haven't worked with before will be urgent, and that includes jobs posted on the boards. Since many agencies already have a pool of translators that they work with, what you're getting is stuff that slips through the gaps, and that includes urgent jobs that no regular translators are available for.

Things often (but not always) change once you have a relationship with that agency.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are most translations urgent?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »