Usual commission for referrals?
Thread poster: Inga Petkelyte

Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:34
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 29, 2015

A good client of an agency to which I provide translation services is coming over to my city on business. The agency asked me to help out with interpreting but let me establish the rate per hour while mentionning, at the same time, that they can invoice the clientdirectly. After beeing asked whether their comission should be included into my rate or the referral was just a help to their client, the agency now wants 15 %. I have no opinion on this and already sent the calculations to the agency.
Here, I am dying with curiosity: what is the general practice?
I have never charged anything for referrals myself nor had given much a thought on this before.

Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I don't understand the question Oct 29, 2015

If you are doing work for an end client via an agency, where does a referral fee come into this?

Or are you working for the client directly? (Doesn't sound like it, if the agency is doing the invoicing).

Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Right Oct 29, 2015

That 's exactly why I asked the question about commissions to the agency:
normally, I do written translations to them and then all is clear.
In this instance, they asked me to provide the e«interpreting service and mentioned that they can innvoice the client. But, they tol, for invoicing they would need to know what rate would be agreed bbetween the end client and me.
Thus they expressed two things: the rate agreement is supposed to be between the client and me + the agency wants their part. They didn't say that directly but I felt it as the invoicing was mentioned, too.
Now, by sending my calculations, I passed the ball to their yard, to check with the client if he accepts.
I understand that, instead of reselling my service to the client, the agency considers it as referral this time.

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:34
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
aka Finder's fee Oct 29, 2015

It sounds like the agency doesn't particularly want to be involved in interpreting services, but still wants to extract some revenue from this transaction. Now that you conveniently (for them) brought up the subject of a commission, they want what is essentially a finder's fee.

What is the agency doing for this finder's fee exactly? Are they keeping the client's contact information from you unless you come to an arrangement?

It seems to me that a finder's fee of this type should be substantially smaller than an agency commission. Mid single digits maybe. All they are really doing is passing along contact info.

Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:34
Chinese to English
What about next time? Oct 29, 2015

What's going to happen the next time the client comes to your city? Will the agency want this fee ad infinitum or just this one time?

Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finding out here Oct 29, 2015

I don't know answers to many questions. Hence, my original question: what is the usual practice?

I agree it is a kind of a finder's fee. Don't argue it, everyone wants to secure their share.

Preston Decker wrote:

What's going to happen the next time the client comes to your city? Will the agency want this fee ad infinitum or just this one time?

Once, already several years ago, I gave referrals of three interpreters in different languages for an agency that specialized in servicing conferences and was looking for several new linguists. In a chat, this same question came out. As I've told, I have never charged anything but it appears that "after the first contact, there is a direct acess and no way to control the services of the referred interpreters."
Is this the general understanding?
What is expected from us, translators and interpreters, in such situations?

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I still don't understand the story Oct 29, 2015

to be honest.

Maxi Schwarz
Local time: 13:34
German to English
+ ...
Don't know Oct 29, 2015

A few years ago an agency with whom I work often told me of an end client whom they didn't want to work with for some reason, but passed that client on to me. It was a substantial translation. They did not ask me for anything and I did not expect them to. Later on the end client was late in paying, and since this agency knew how things worked in that country, they even helped me out in this respect. I don't get this this referral fee thing at all.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:34
English to Polish
+ ...
... Oct 29, 2015

At least three parliamentary commissions and a panel of non-partisan experts before I give anyone a referral.icon_wink.gif

[Edited at 2015-10-29 23:28 GMT]

Arno99
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Your 15% question Oct 29, 2015

If you do not have any such provision in whatever contract or agreement you have with that agency, you need not pay them anything. They might respond by no longer hiring you though, but it seems that this agency is not very professionally solid anyway and it might be best to severe links to them. Your call !

Romina Navarro
Argentina
Local time: 15:34
English to Spanish
Your questions is still unclear to me, but... Oct 30, 2015

The only thing I'm sure here is that there can't be a quotation from you and an invoice from the agency. One of you should do both things, that is the professional way to handle the operation. And then you and the agency arrange the referral fee issue.

So I see 2 possible ways to handle this:

Case 1:
1) The agency provides you with the contact info
2) You give the client your fee and afterwards your invoice
3) The agency will ask you to pay them a 15% fee for the referral on this operation.

Case 2:
1) Everything is done through the agency, as all the translations
2) You give the agency your fees so they can quote their client, though you cannot know how much they have really quoted
3) From that fee you gave they will pay you 85% (so take it into account when making numbers!)

Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
I'd say... Oct 30, 2015

...you should receive 100% of your rate, and the agency can ask the client for a 15% commission. The client would pay 115%.

Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The original question Oct 31, 2015

What is the general practice (about referrals)?
What are habits and customs in the field?

(But I take it's not that much practised. Most of us, like me, just don't charge nor expect to be charged.)

Paweł Hamerski
Poland
Local time: 20:34
English to Polish
+ ...
of course - the more so as they will invoice the customer themselves. Oct 31, 2015

Natalia Mackevich wrote:

...you should receive 100% of your rate, and the agency can ask the client for a 15% commission. The client would pay 115%.

Still it is strange.

Either they don't want this customer and you get him/her free or they may ask for a referrral fee from what the customer pays you - in either case you set your own rate and you invoice the customer directly (you can always tell them to ask the customer directly for this fee but that would mean the end of any future collaboration, or

they invoice him and they take their usual/unusual commission - unless they are very kind and want a referrral fee instead of their usual commission.

unless they invoice him as a favour to you because they know you cannot invoice him directly for some tax reasons or what

My goodness! What is all this about?

After a careful but brief consideration I suppose they wanted to do a favour to their good customer and want a referrral fee instead of their usual commission

[Edited at 2015-10-31 16:12 GMT]

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:34
English to Spanish
... Oct 31, 2015

Rachel Waddington wrote:

I do not understand the question

jyuan_us wrote:

I still do not understand the story

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

I don't get this this referral fee thing at all

Romix wrote:

Your question is still unclear to me

Paweł Hamerski wrote:

My goodness! What is all this about?

Yes, does anybody know what this is all about?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Usual commission for referrals?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search