Thread poster: Francesca moletta

Francesca moletta
Italy
Local time: 16:29
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 18, 2005

Hi all,

I'm planning to create my own website and I was wondering how I can make it the most visible. I guess it depends on the countries/area I'm focussing in.
As you know it's quite hard for us, as we can work with virtually all the world.

But is there a web hosting provider more visible than the others?

Generally speaking, have you got any tip to make a translator's site the most profitable?

Visibility from many countries, good positioning in search engines and the like?

Thanks for your suggestions (which are always sooo useful!)

Have a great week end!:-)

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:29
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
All page are visible, if not hidden Feb 18, 2005

But what you mean probably is, how do you achieve, that you are found easily in search engines like Google.
Google rates sites according to the amount of other sites having a link to it. So if many sites have a link to your site Google thinks your site is very popular.
Another factor is the content of your site. Searchers will find your site if the words they search for are found in the content of your page. Try to imagine what kind of search words clients would feed into a search engine and put those words into your page, but so, that it makes sense. Simple lists of words don't work.

But your own site is not the most important thing. Clients search for translators on sites like ProZ etc. What is the most important directory of translators for your language and join this directory.

Regards
Heinrich

Aleksandr Okunev
English to Russian
Promote Feb 19, 2005

Go to http://www.selfpromotion.com
HTH
Alex

P.S.
I must say that this topic has been discussed a couple of weeks ago, since you have not bothered to search forums, I would say your approach should be improved a bit, sorry.

Francesca moletta
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 19, 2005

Aleksandr Okunev wrote:

Go to http://www.selfpromotion.com
HTH
Alex

P.S.
I must say that this topic has been discussed a couple of weeks ago, since you have not bothered to search forums, I would say your approach should be improved a bit, sorry.

Thanks for your suggestions Heinrich and Aleksandr. I actually did a research in previous fora before posting this one by using the words "visibility" and "site" but I didn't find what I was looking for. Which thread are you referring to, Aleksandr?

Anyway http://www.selfpromotion.com/ seems good.

Thanks a lot!

Aleksandr Okunev
English to Russian
It is very simple Feb 19, 2005

Anyway http://www.selfpromotion.com/ seems good.

Nice! Making your site popular is very simple:
- it must be useful to clients
- it must be useful to pals
- it must be honest and relevant
- it should remain like this at least 1 year
Do not use spam and automatic submission, it's the QUALITY of traffic that counts.
Best of luck
Alex

Saskia Steur  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks Aleksander Feb 20, 2005

Thanks very much for the link to selfpromotion. Seems very useful.
Best regards,
Saskia

Aleksandr Okunev
English to Russian
Welcome, but... Feb 20, 2005

selfpromotion. Seems very useful.

The site is excellent primarily by its pholosophy, not only its autosubmission mechanics. Do not forget the 4 points expressed above. I have 2 largely abandoned sites, 2 and 3 years old, one of them basically does not need updating, the other is a collection of English jokes. They both normally show on the 1-st page of Google if sought by folks looking for educational fun and a good rest in the Crimea. No kidding. If you don't get visitors fast - do not despair.
Another thing about promoting sites is well illustrated by a dialogue at www.narod.ru - a huge Russian free hosting:
Q: How do I get to "Best Sites?"
A: Build the best site!
Regrettably, some software and web services available today create an illusion that you can promote *anything* and get it to the top. True, but a waste of efforts, like sailing on an iron. It won't sink if the engine is powerful enough, but a better way is to slowly build a raft, quietly sail and enjoy the views.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amen
Stay well
Alex

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

website's visibility

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search