A matter of fraud (interpreter scam)
Thread poster: Genevieve Tournebize

Genevieve Tournebize
Local time: 19:55
English to French
+ ...
Feb 25, 2005

I was contacted by a person who claim he was a prince in Ghana and was needing an interpreter in Spanish because he was coming to my city and his wife was not an English speaker. We communicated several times about the timing and the price for the interpretation (10 days, 5 hrs a day). He said that I would be paid ahead of time. As the emails went on he told me that he someone in the US would send me a check because he had some business in the US. I did not see any problem with that. Close to the date he was coming he told me that the check would be for more than my fees and that I should send the rest of the money by Western Union to his agent in Ghana. I waited for the check because I did not know for sure what to expect from this although I was suspicious. The check came a Friday and the person and his family were supposed to arrive the following Tuesday. The check was for $4800 and I was told to send the remaining part of the check right away with the information needed to retreive it. My bank did not want to clear the check (this was a bank check not an individual check) but my husband bank did. I was going to send the remainder of the money but I had some doubts. I checked over the net if there was an agency in Ghana with the name I was given or a prince with the name he had given me. I could not really find anything consistant. I called Western Union to ask them what they thought about this and they told me that most likely it was a fake check because apparently there is a lot of fraud similar to this coming from Africa and Spain. I kept the check deposited in my bank until naturally 10 days later it was proven that it was fake. You would think that banks can check checks right away especially when they are written by another bank as a cashier's check. Apparently not, if we had sent the money there is nothing we could have done to retreive it and the bank would have asked us to pay it back even though we were victim of a fraud. Beware international fraud is high and they are attacking everyone that is interested to earn a living decently.

Genevieve

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-25 16:17]

Direct link Reply with quote

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:55
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
It's a popular scheme Feb 25, 2005

Hi Genevieve,
Sorry to hear about that story - good that you haven't sent any money!

This scam is known for some time already. You (and others) may like to check previous threads:
http://www.proz.com/topic/29704
http://www.proz.com/topic/29490
http://www.proz.com/topic/26069

Be careful!!

Magda

PS. I moved this thread from Technical Suport forum, it seems to fit better to Business Issues

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:55
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Other forum threads dedicated to this subject Feb 25, 2005

It's good to have another reminder about this scam, because it doesn't look like it's going to die away all that soon.

Other forum threads where the subject is discussed:

http://www.proz.com/topic/29005
http://www.proz.com/topic/26069 [Ulrike Lieder's message in this thread gives some very good tips!]
http://www.proz.com/topic/27732
http://www.proz.com/topic/26822

Etc... (use forum search function to locate more related topics)

These folks keep very busy targeting interpreters, don't they?

[Edited at 2005-02-25 16:24]

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
Prince in Ghana! Feb 25, 2005

That's a good one!
I'm the King of Mexico, gimmi your money!

Kathinka van de Griendt  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:55
German to English
+ ...
Nigeria Connection ... Feb 25, 2005

is what this bunch of "Princes, Ministers, Presidents, etc" is called. They work in all trades, accost everyone and usually have this heart-rending story to tell. A friend of mine lost over €10 000 in one of these scams

Genevieve Tournebize
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you, I have to be more careful and read everything on this site. Feb 25, 2005

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

Hi Genevieve,
Sorry to hear about that story - good that you haven't sent any money!

This scam is known for some time already. You (and others) may like to check previous threads:
http://www.proz.com/topic/29704
http://www.proz.com/topic/26069

Be careful!!

Magda

PS. I moved this thread from Technical Suport forum, it seems to fit better to Business Issues

Genevieve Tournebize
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 25, 2005

Yolanda Broad wrote:

It's good to have another reminder about this scam, because it doesn't look like it's going to die away all that soon.

Other forum threads where the subject is discussed:

http://www.proz.com/topic/29005
http://www.proz.com/topic/26069 [Ulrike Lieder's message in this thread gives some very good tips!]
http://www.proz.com/topic/27732
http://www.proz.com/topic/26822

Etc... (use forum search function to locate more related topics)

These folks keep very busy targeting interpreters, don't they?

[Edited at 2005-02-25 16:24]

Genevieve Tournebize
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right. There is a president in Ghana no prince... he almost got me believing. Feb 25, 2005

Juan Jacob wrote:

That's a good one!
I'm the King of Mexico, gimmi your money!

Genevieve Tournebize
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you can never be too careful... Feb 25, 2005

Kathinka Lavelle wrote:

is what this bunch of "Princes, Ministers, Presidents, etc" is called. They work in all trades, accost everyone and usually have this heart-rending story to tell. A friend of mine lost over €10 000 in one of these scams

Steredenn Offret  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Me too ! Feb 25, 2005

Dear Geneviève,
I was also contacted by that so-called Prince, but for interpreting into French. I had serious doubts about his story and therefore I turned him down. I am glad you did not buy it "completely" either. Just be careful, scams come everyday !
Sted

Sormane Fitzgerald Gomes  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Same here. Feb 25, 2005

Hello,
I am Bishop XXXXXXX. Am an English speaking cleargy from Ghana.I will be coming over to Philadelphia PA on holidays from 10th of March. to the 20th of March 2005 for a 10 days vacation with my Portuguese - European wife,daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively.My wife Rev. XXXXXXX only speaks Portuguese - European and my native language,because her mum happens to come from Ghana. We will require the services of a Portuguese - European translator for 5 hours daily X 10 days because i will not always be with them on most occations due to other church functions which i most attend.Please acknowledge if you can offer this service and give me a price quote.We will like to pay in advance of our visit so she can be assured of an interpreter during her shopping and sightseeing because this is her first visit to US .
An early reply will be appreciated.

Remain Blessed,

His Lordship,
Bishop XXXXXXXX
Tel: +XXXXXXXXXX

Unbelievable!

Sormane

[Edited at 2005-02-25 22:58]

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
If it sounds too good to be true Feb 26, 2005

We should always apply this golden rule: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I am glad you had exactly that feeling.

Conrado Portugal
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
It happened to me Feb 26, 2005

Genevieve Tournebize-Iliev wrote:

I was contacted by a person who claim he was a prince in Ghana and was needing an interpreter in Spanish because he was coming to my city and his wife was not an English speaker. We communicated several times about the timing and the price for the interpretation (10 days, 5 hrs a day). He said that I would be paid ahead of time. As the emails went on he told me that he someone in the US would send me a check because he had some business in the US. I did not see any problem with that. Close to the date he was coming he told me that the check would be for more than my fees and that I should send the rest of the money by Western Union to his agent in Ghana. I waited for the check because I did not know for sure what to expect from this although I was suspicious. The check came a Friday and the person and his family were supposed to arrive the following Tuesday. The check was for $4800 and I was told to send the remaining part of the check right away with the information needed to retreive it. My bank did not want to clear the check (this was a bank check not an individual check) but my husband bank did. I was going to send the remainder of the money but I had some doubts. I checked over the net if there was an agency in Ghana with the name I was given or a prince with the name he had given me. I could not really find anything consistant. I called Western Union to ask them what they thought about this and they told me that most likely it was a fake check because apparently there is a lot of fraud similar to this coming from Africa and Spain. I kept the check deposited in my bank until naturally 10 days later it was proven that it was fake. You would think that banks can check checks right away especially when they are written by another bank as a cashier's check. Apparently not, if we had sent the money there is nothing we could have done to retreive it and the bank would have asked us to pay it back even though we were victim of a fraud. Beware international fraud is high and they are attacking everyone that is interested to earn a living decently.

Genevieve

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-25 16:17]

This week, I received this:

Gooday,
My Name is XXXX.My fiancee Mary and i will
be getting married at XXXXX on MAY XXXXX.Mary my fiancee is from
Spain and speaks Spanish
and she does not speak English and i would require the
service of a professional interpreter like you to help
interprete whatever she says on the wedding day to make
things convenient for her,myself and the officiating
ministers along with the invited guests.I would want you
to get back to me with your pricing package for this task
and if you are out of Leingarten,state what it will costs
to make
the trip to the venue of the event on the specified date
along with your charges for the required service.I will be
making the payment with a cashiers check.
At this moment,Mary and i just arrived
Amsterdam,Holland for a 8 weeks Pre-Wedding honeymoon and
will be back soon and when we get back to the states,i
will give you a call to finalise every other details of
the wedding.
Do send me your pricing details along with your Full
names,Address,Telephone number where a cashiers check will
be made out to as soon as possible.Hotel Accomodation will
also be provided for as well if you are out of Leingarten.
I look forward to reading from you soon.
XXXXX.

Since the story is very strange, plus they required me to go to the other end of Germany, I kindly rejected the assignment

What did you do, Genevieve? Did you inform the authorities? Is there any way to catch these crooks?

Conrado

Pamela Brizzola  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
See what they say in Nigeria Feb 26, 2005

WHAT FOLLOWS IS AN ARTICLE FOUND ON THE INTERNET ABOUT THE PROFITABILITY OF THE E-MAIL BUSINESS. Pamela

--------------------------------------------------------

The 3rd Annual Nigerian
EMail Conference
"Write better emails. Make more moneys."

I am Mr. Laurent Mpeti Kabila, a senior assistant leader of the Revolutionary United Front of Sierra Leone.

I present to you an urgent and confidential request: I request your attendance at The 3rd Annual Nigerian EMail Conference. This is an excellent opportunity to meet your distinguished colleagues, learn new marketing techniques, and spend your hard-earned money. Attending this conference demands the highest trust, security and confidentiality between us.

The conference, it is over.
It was a most successful event.
If you are a Nigerian, you
may click here to read the
Official Conference Proceedings.

Like most Nigerians, you're probably finding that it's increasingly difficult to earn a decent living from email. That's why you need to attend the 3rd Annual Nigerian EMail Conference.

"This conference is an investment in your future. Learn to take advantage of modern technology, and make a great deal of money with very little effort. If you have any question, please contact me and I will send you a proposal that may be of interest to you. I await your response by return while assuring you that the transaction is absolutely risk free."

- Dr. Collins Mbadiwe

Preliminary* List of Events
As in the past, this conference
has something for everyone.
You will hear presentations by
some of the world's leading
Nigerian Email businessmen
and businesswomen.

Following are just a few of the
many events that are scheduled.

Breakfast Kickoff Session:
Your choice: A hard boiled egg, or two slices of white bread and a cricket.

Keynote Address:
Dr. Hamza Kalu's adds some historical perspective in his keynote address: "From Postal Scams To Email Scams: We Have Come a Long Way Infant Child."

Debate:
Attend a lively debate between Lady Mariam Abacha and Mr. Godwin Oyathelem. Topic: "The effectiveness of using all UPPERCASE characters."

Practical Discussion:
Mallam Mahmud Abacah answers the question, "Are 10 million emails a day too many?"

Competition:
Other countries are now adapting our business. Is this a threat or an opportunity?

Tech Session:
Mrs. M Sese-Seko reveals valuable secrets in her session titled, "Those Pesky Email Headers"

Commerce:
Find out how banking systems throughout the world operate -- with special emphasis on money transfers.

Linguistics:
Damn, spam, scam, sham. And more rhymes in the "sticks and stones" category.

Telecommunications:
Soliciting via cell phone text messaging: Can it work?

Accounting:
The taxman he's a comin': Keeping good and accurate records.

Open Discussion:
We will resume last year's high-spirited discussion of unionization, including health benefits.

Workshop:
Grammatical errors: What's the optimal number?

Statistics:
Dr. Kayode Naiyeju presents his ground-breaking research: "Analyzing response rates using analysis of variance: That pesky R-squared value," as published in The Nigerian Journal of Applied Statistics.

Economics:
A round table discussion: Is email now Nigeria's top export?

For Newcomers:
View an entertaining PowerPoint presentation that describes how to get started in this lucrative business, with no initial investment!

Hand-on Session:
Experts critique your emails, and offer valuable tips.

* The actual schedule of events and participants depends on various trial outcomes and extradition hearings.

Accommodations
The Abuja Sheraton Hotel is an elegant 5-star hotel in the heart of the new capital of Nigeria. For more information, click here. Only 575 rooms are available, so make sure you register early!

Amenities* include a bar, a barber shop, running water (hot AND cold), free parking, and a free newspaper (except for weekends).

Imagine yourself sitting in this modern conference room, surrounded by enterprising businessmen like yourself.

Spouses are invited, although they may not attend the conference sessions. Spouses must spend the day in their hotel room watching TV (two channels are available, and one is not cartoons).

* Restrooms are available in the hotel. Please use them.
From Past Conferences...
"My business has increased by 45%, and I am now experiencing an 89.4% ROI" - Mariam Abacha

"It was a genuine pleasure to meet other honorable business persons such as myself." - Isa Ahmed

"The presentation on P.T. Barnum was especially helpful." - Farouk Bakoh

"The hotel was very, very upscale. The running water was a nice touch! - Dr, Collins Mdadiwe

"I am pleased. I got many new email addresses as a direct result of this most valuable conference." - Aku Chukwu

"Now I know how to respond when someone refers to my business as a scam." - Franklin Dimmoh

"I AM FIRMLY CONVINCED THAT USING UPPERCASE LETTERS MAKES MY WRITING MORE EFFECTIVE." - Mr. Ibrahim Ahmed

"The free daily newspaper was very good to receive, but it is not come on Saturday." - Mrs. Mabel Mamumbi (my kidney disease is getting better, but I am still a widow)

Register Now!
Registration is via a confidential money transfer.

Send your bank's name, account number, your name, address, telephone number, and fax numbers. Please note again that this transaction is strictly confidential and as such should be kept secret. Be rest assured that this transaction is 100% risk free.

Kindly send the requested information (in complete confidence) to:

Nigerian EMail Conference
c/o Abuja Sheraton Hotel Abuja
Ladi Kwali Way Abuja, NG PMB 143

Nigerian EMail Association

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A matter of fraud (interpreter scam)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search