Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Two objections regarding TM-Town related advertising
Thread poster: writeaway

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Jun 15, 2016

1. Alternate search option: Find translators on TM-Town - a new site owned and operated by ProZ.com

The sentence above is posted at the bottom of all our profile pages. Well and good for those who have jumped aboard the TM-Town train. After all, TM-Town is now a Proz product.
But for those of us (I assume I'm not the only one) who are not aboard, this is basically sending potential clients away from us and pointing them towards a group we are not part of.

I cannot see it at the bottom of my own page, but it seems to show up on everyone else's (registered members, paying and non-paying) so I assume it's on mine as well. There used to be a way to see our profile page the way it appears to others but I can no longer find that option.

I would like to have the option to have this advertisement removed from my profile page.

2. A CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATOR

People with a Proz P who are listed on TM town are listed with the big red P + the words (in caps) A CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATOR.

I find that misleading advertising. Being awarded the P by Proz means Proz as a website "certifies" a given translator who has met the site's own specific conditions. But that does not necessarily mean that they are a certified professional translator in the real world. TM-Town may be owned by Proz but imo, transferring the site's own 'certification' to an outside site is prejudicial to all others on Proz who also happen to be professional translators, including those who may even be officially certified by recognised bodies/authorities but not "certified" by Proz.
I think it should be worded "A Proz-Certified Professional Translator" to make it clear exactly where the "certification" comes from.

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:06
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
~ Jun 15, 2016

writeaway wrote:

1. Alternate search option: Find translators on TM-Town - a new site owned and operated by ProZ.com

The sentence above is posted at the bottom of all our profile pages. Well and good for those who have jumped aboard the TM-Town train. After all, TM-Town is now a Proz product.
But for those of us (I assume I'm not the only one) who are not aboard, this is basically sending potential clients away from us and pointing them towards a group we are not part of.

I cannot see it at the bottom of my own page, but it seems to show up on everyone else's (registered members, paying and non-paying) so I assume it's on mine as well. There used to be a way to see our profile page the way it appears to others but I can no longer find that option.

I would like to have the option to have this advertisement removed from my profile page.

2. A CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATOR

People with a Proz P who are listed on TM town are listed with the big red P + the words (in caps) A CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATOR.

I find that misleading advertising. Being awarded the P by Proz means Proz as a website "certifies" a given translator who has met the site's own specific conditions. But that does not necessarily mean that they are a certified professional translator in the real world. TM-Town may be owned by Proz but imo, transferring the site's own 'certification' to an outside site is prejudicial to all others on Proz who also happen to be professional translators, including those who may even be officially certified by recognised bodies/authorities but not "certified" by Proz.
I think it should be worded "A Proz-Certified Professional Translator" to make it clear exactly where the "certification" comes from.

Agree with point 2, don't really care about point 1. I'm not sure how/when/where it shows up. I also can't find it my own profile, but if you go to someone else's profile, for example by googling them, ‘Alternate search option: Find translators on TM-Town - a new site owned and operated by ProZ.com’ is shown there.

Re point 1: click ‘Force visitor view’ at the top of your profile.

Michael

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
2 points Jun 15, 2016

Re. Writeway's 2 points:

1. I can't see it on Michael's or Writeaway's profiles (Visitor view) and I would not accept for it to appear on my own Visitor profile without my prior agreement.

2. I agree that the description "A CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATOR"is misleading and may well be illegal, certainly here in the UK. The proposed alternative "Proz-Certified Professional Translator" would be perfectly acceptable.

Moreover:

In a previous thread elsewhere, Jared has already made it clear, as I understand it, that those who pay the extra to get the TM- Town thing will have no advantage over those who don't. Is that not correct?

[Edited at 2016-06-15 12:53 GMT]

Angela Rimmer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Agree with both points Jun 15, 2016

'Nuff said.

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Jun 15, 2016

Alternate search option: Find translators on TM-Town - a new site owned and operated by ProZ.com

I just discovered you have to look at your (or anyone else's) profile page in an incognito/hidden window. You'll see it at the bottom of the profile page. On mine I see:

More translators and interpreters: French to English - Dutch to English - Flemish to English More language pairs
Alternate search option: Find translators on TM-Town - a new site owned and operated by ProZ.com

[Edited at 2016-06-15 12:50 GMT]

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
? Jun 15, 2016

writeaway wrote:

I just discovered you have to look at your (or anyone else's) profile page in an incognito/hidden window. You'll see it at the bottom of the profile page. On mine I see:

More translators and interpreters: French to English - Dutch to English - Flemish to English More language pairs

[Edited at 2016-06-15 12:50 GMT]

What is "an incognito/hidden window"?

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Right-click on a link/url(?) Jun 15, 2016

If I right-click on my name (writeaway) for instance, I see 3 options:
Open link in a new tab
Open link in a new window
Open link in an incognito window.

I am using Chrome. With Firefox the incognito window was called a hidden window (I think). I have no idea about IE or others.

I was about to add that being logged-out when looking at Proz does the trick too. I see others have already said that. It's a better solution imo.

[Edited at 2016-06-15 13:18 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:06
English to Italian
+ ...
Agree Jun 15, 2016

I agree with both 1 and 2.

As for 1, I noticed it doesn't appear if I visit my or others' profiles using a browser with which I'm signed in on ProZ, while it does appear if I use a different browser...

Actually, what I read is:

"More translators and interpreters: English to Italian - German to Italian More language pairs
Alternate search option: Find translators on TM-Town - a new site owned and operated by ProZ.com"

Having outbound links on my profile page doesn't seem such a cool thing, truth be told...

Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
TM-town advertisement visible when not logged in Jun 15, 2016

I can see the line
when I am not logged in when looking at my profile, so I guess all potential clients who are not ProZ members see it, too.

I fully agree with writeaway: I do not want this on my profile page.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree... Jun 15, 2016

Dr. Matthias Schauen wrote:

I can see the line
when I am not logged in when looking at my profile, so I guess all potential clients who are not ProZ members see it, too.

I fully agree with writeaway: I do not want this on my profile page.

I agree. I don't want anything relating to TM-Town to be visible in any version of my profile page, in any browser, in any way. May I kindly request that Proz staff ensure this is the case.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Thanks for the heads-up, writeaway. I very much object Jun 15, 2016

If clients are finding me on ProZ.com, due at least in part to the fact that I pay for membership, they should NOT then be encouraged to look elsewhere, especially somewhere where my profile does not appear. That is totally unacceptable. What am I paying for???

I have asked twice before, and I'll ask again as I've had no response from staff:
How is ProZ.com marketing TM-Town to visitors to the site?

I believe paying members have a right to know that.

Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:06
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
Agree Jun 15, 2016

Seconded and seconded.

And how Proz handles these two issues will absolutely affect my decision on whether or not to re-up at the end of the year.

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TM-Town search link moving clients away from Kudoz-based ranking searches Jun 15, 2016

If you search for a translator here on Proz, after you get the results for a certain specialization a box is shown in the top left corner above the search results.
It says
New Search Option: Get matched to the best experts for your job with Nakōdo
It's a hyperlink that opens the Nakodo search engine on TM-Town.

I am quite high up in the kudoz-based rankings for one of my language pairs in certain fields but I don't think that is the case on TM-Town where I presume other TM-Town members may have uploaded more TM segments than me and therefore have a higher ranking in searches just because they have uploaded more TM data but perhaps not answered even one pertinent question in that field.

Kudoz-based rankings work, a client can almost be guaranteed they will get a top professional in a certain field if that Pro has a good kudoz ranking.

Imo whether Nakodo works just as well still has to be proved and until this is proven I would prefer to see the two systems kept separate rather than encouraging clients who are searching for a Pro on Proz to use Nakodo to find someone who has uploaded a load of TM data.

Can you remove that Nakodo link from the Proz "Translators" search page please?

[Edited at 2016-06-15 14:38 GMT]

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
This is the point Jun 15, 2016

Jo Macdonald wrote:

I second Jo's request.

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
It's starting to sound almost like viral marketing... Jun 15, 2016

Jo Macdonald wrote:

If you search for a translator here on Proz, after you get the results for a certain specialization a box is shown in the top left corner above the search results.
It says
New Search Option: Get matched to the best experts for your job with Nakōdo
It's a hyperlink that opens the Nakodo search engine on TM-Town.

Didn't know about this either...

+1

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two objections regarding TM-Town related advertising

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search