Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 15:47
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Apr 5, 2005

This is the second (or third ...) post of this kind I've been getting, so it's ... er ... common? Here's how some fill up their books:

post:" NNN words, technical translation, From A to B, delivery no later than Wednesday morning, price: ZZ Euro ATTENTION: Only applicants who accept the conditions of this order AND provide us with their CV will be considered."

reaction ("what about a quickie?"): send out the information, test translation, etc. On the double - and don't be choosy -.

action ("you suck"): "Dear Mr Smolej,

Thank you very much for your application for this project. However, I am sorry to inform you (blah blah)
!"

Why I don't think these are honest calls for freelancers? Broadcasting for a rush, short job either indicates an empty address book or hidden motives. Asking for a CV for a rush job (Huh?!) is another "Ohoh".

I'm probably just the last one, and for sure not the first one to get suspicious - I just did not feel like looking around much.

TiA for comments and opinions

[Edited at 2005-04-05 13:55]

[Edited at 2005-04-05 13:56]

[Edited at 2005-04-05 13:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Alejandra Villarroel  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with you but not completely.... Apr 5, 2005

It is in deed very common to see the kind of posts you describe. I would guess this applies to all language pairs more or less in the same way. And I do agree with you when you question the honesty of such calls for freelancers... There is something fishy behind them.

BUT

Broadcasting for a rush, short job either indicates an empty address book or hidden motives.

Not necessarily an empty address book. That's precisely why they are RUSH jobs, i.e. it was not planned, you could not anticipate it, you didn't have time to book any of the freelancers you would usually contact...

AND

Vito Smolej wrote:
Asking for a CV for a rush job (Huh?!) is another "Ohoh".

I believe that requesting someone their CV is the least you can do, PARTICULARLY if you are in the middle of a rush job and about to hire someone you have never even tested before.

Regards, ALEJANDRA

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"PARTCULARLY if you are in the middle of a rush job" .... Apr 5, 2005

I would not lift a finger, if mails were not written as a rush, "help me, guys, I'm sinking" job. My solidary heart then goes on cruise control and the keyboard starts rattling:"a friend in need is a friend indeed".

A form letter answering - that's been 100% sure generated by some Word macro or similar - just does not rhyme... Smacks more of an accumulated harvest of addresses, which one can squeeze in the future for low(er) prices and/or play against each other...

Well, possibly I'm painting a big devil instead of a realistic poor little devil.

Regards and thanks. Let's see some more...

January Mercieca
English to Maltese
+ ...
Thanks for the advice. Apr 6, 2005

I'm a freelance translator but as yet have never sent out a bid for one of the jobs. I've joined this forum because of the good tips given & because of the solutions given to various problems.

So Vito, you are saying that such jobs are a scam? That they ultimately won't pay up in the end?

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nonperforming clients were not on my mind... Apr 6, 2005

Lisa-mt wrote:
So Vito, you are saying that such jobs are a scam? That they ultimately won't pay up in the end?

I am sorry to have made waves ... Rest assured, Lisa, that

a) non-paying clients were not on my mind and
b) whoever does it, will not be around for a long time. So no need to be afraid.

My concern was only that there's no real job there in the first place and the only thing happening is somebody getting his or her hands on the information (CVs, readiness to accept low, no, make it outrageous rates, whatever) they would otherwise have trouble getting.

[Edited at 2005-04-06 11:13]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bottom fishing for freelancers

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search