Thread poster: Channa Montijn

Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:36
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 14, 2005

I am fortunate to have this client for more than 3 years, however they keep on sending me large import files every time... this takes about 3 hours (or even more) to import for a job that is only 2500 words.
I use Trados 5.5 and 6.5 and explained that to them, so I figure they just could send me the complete TM (like they did a year ago).
When I am busy I usually import the TM in the evenings, but you still have to check. Do you have any experience in dealing with this kind of problems? And how do you deal with that?

Direct link Reply with quote

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
3 hours ??? Apr 14, 2005

Hello,

how many translation units are in the import files ?

Which database version is your tm ? If you use an old database version with Trados 6.5 it is recommended to upgrade the database. (Make a new in Trados 6.5 and import the old export file).

I import sometimes databases with approx. 150000 translation units in a few minutes.

With kind regards

Hans

Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Version Apr 14, 2005

DSC wrote:

Hello,

how many translation units are in the import files ?

Which database version is your tm ? If you use an old database version with Trados 6.5 it is recommended to upgrade the database. (Make a new in Trados 6.5 and import the old export file).

I import sometimes databases with approx. 150000 translation units in a few minutes.

With kind regards

Hans

Hi Hans

I just checked: for the 5.5 I use version 5.5 2.257 and the TM was over 300.000 units... could it be the memory of my pc (upgraded to 256) than that it takes forever?

Thank you in advance for your reply!

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:36
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Not enough memory Apr 14, 2005

I do no not know if that is a sole reason but (without trying to dissapoint you) upgrading to 256 is not enough. I recentry upgraded to 514. I have not experienced TM related speed problems yet but I know that full PC virus scan takes me 24 hours. So I am thinking whether to upgrade again or is it time to get a new computer altogether.

Cheers,
Burrell

Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exporting no problems... Apr 15, 2005

Thank you for your reply.
The weird thing is that exporting that same TM takes like 10 minutes, while importing takes forever...
How can that be?

Best regards
Channa

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Import vs. reorganisation Apr 15, 2005

Hi Channa,
The weird thing is that exporting that same TM takes like 10 minutes, while importing takes forever...
How can that be?

I take it your import mode (File - Import...) is set to Large import file (with reorganisation)? The import process shouldn't take longer than exporting - what takes time is the subsequent reorganisation (which isn't required when exporting, of course).

Best, Ralf

Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hai Ralf Apr 15, 2005

You are absolutely right! (did not think of that, of course -:)).
But is it wiser to use the large import function (with reorganization) then?
And I just deleted a lot of old stuff on that computer and am now defragmentating the hard drive... would that make a difference?

Best regards
Channa

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No way around it Apr 15, 2005

Hi again,
But is it wiser to use the large import function (with reorganization) then?

You mean the 'small TM' option - not really, because you cannot work with a TM that hasn't been reorganised.

And I just deleted a lot of old stuff on that computer and am now defragmentating the hard drive... would that make a difference?

Some difference perhaps, but not a major one, I'd say.

Best, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing large Tms for same client

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search