Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is making a glossary a part of a standard project workflow?
Thread poster: Aleksandr Okunev
Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 07:33
English to Russian
Apr 15, 2005

Hi all,

A client has just sent me a 2-column table of 1724 terms with the following note:

"... and do the translation for this glossary. As this is part of the regular workflow of a professional project, this translation is not considered as a supplementary service and it won't be paid extra."

I am requested to deliver the glossary by Monday and there is no reference available.
Please, tell me: how 'regular' is it?

TIA
Alex

Direct link Reply with quote

Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:33
Member (2002)
English to German
Not regular at all Apr 15, 2005

I always charge my hours for glossaries...

Andy

Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:33
French to English
Glossary Apr 15, 2005

Of course it should be paid for, unless you are making a glossary as part of a translation which can sometimes be submitted to the client for approval... which doesn't sound
like the case here.

Good luck!

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:33
German to English
+ ...
Are you kidding me? Apr 15, 2005

Since when was lunch free?

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Go away for the weekend! Apr 15, 2005

Sounds a bit outrageous to me.

As Mary says, building up a glossary as part of a job is something you might do anyway (depends on the job of course), and sometimes I give it to the client as a free bonus, mainly so they can "search and replace" any terms they decide they don't like.
And although I've never been asked to, if I client gave me a job and said, **in advance**, "can you tell us what translations you use for this list of terms", then I'd probably do it, and probably for free (since I might do one anyway, doesn't seem such an imposition to do it as I go along).

But 1,700+ terms, without a job to go with it (I assume this is what you mean by "no reference"), for nothing? I think not. And I bet the person just sent the email before they left work for the weekend, so they're sitting around enjoying a cool beer or whatever they do for fun, and you're fretting about what to do. Not fair.

Pretend you never read it, say you were away for the weekend, and get in touch with them on Monday to ask for an explanation/clarification of how/why they expect to get what must be at least a day's work for nothing. Hopefully, it's just a misunderstanding of some sort. Good luck.

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
Depressing Apr 15, 2005

There must be some people out there who out of dire necessity agree to such abusive treatment. Otherwise, how could agencies be so brazen and disgusting?

I hope you're in a position to resist them.

Have a nice weekend!

Esther

espurna
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No, not regular Apr 15, 2005

A glossary, a consistent and sensible one of course, is an extra task that involves much more work than a "normal" translation. Years ago, I remember that as much as one dollar per word (yes, 1 US$ per word) was a normal rate for a technical glossary. Of course, times have changed and rates have decreased, but I do not think a glossary to be a regular job with a standard rate. The lesser troughout a week end.

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:33
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
True, but the glossary should be provided by the client, not done by you. Apr 15, 2005

Aleksandr Okunev wrote:

"... and do the translation for this glossary. As this is part of the regular workflow of a professional project, this translation is not considered as a supplementary service and it won't be paid extra."

I am requested to deliver the glossary by Monday and there is no reference available.
Please, tell me: how 'regular' is it?

TIA
Alex

I usually translate using the glossaries provided by the final client or the translation agency. What the translation agency could do, as a supplementary service and without charging extra to the client, is to provide the client a glossary created with the terms you used (but, of course, this should be done by the agency, NOT YOU). If the translation is done by you, so you have to be paid for it. The "extra" glossary was offered by the agency, not by you.

Regards,

Clarisa

Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
the meaning of extra................... Apr 15, 2005

...this translation is not considered as a supplementary service and it won't be paid extra."

I am not a native speaker of English and sometimes I miss things but when they say 'it won't be paid extra'...does it not mean that it will be paid at the normal rate and no more just because it is a glossary???????

I'm probably wrong.
Good luck.

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:33
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
it is not a supplementary service indeed Apr 15, 2005

Aleksandr Okunev wrote:
Alex

It is not a "supplementary service" - just a piece of work within the translation request. If they want you to do it - I'd try to negotiate, well, say my usual per-word rate...

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
cheeky monkeys!!! Apr 15, 2005

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:
If they want you to do it - I'd try to negotiate, well, say my usual per-word rate...

And the usual rate per word is being too kind. It takes a lot longer to find the correct translation(s) of words in a list, out of context, than in a piece of text.
If it's a glossary, I have to assume that the words will be more technical or specific to a certain field and 1700 words will probably not come from the top of my head, just like that. If I have to spend longer researching, say an average of 2 minutes per word, it would take 56½ hours to do it. At normal translation per word rate??? No way!!

In summary, if they are asking you to do it at normal rate (nothing extra), I would not consider it fair at all. If they are asking you to do it for free, I'd say it's plain abuse.

Cheers,
Grace.

Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same project? Apr 16, 2005

I am also working for a client, who send me an e-mail yesterday with exact the same request/remark, however in this case there are over 6500 words to be done by Tuesday and without any pay..

"As this is part of the regular workflow of a professional project, this translation is not considered as a supplementary service and it won't be paid extra"

and

"Because you are experienced in XXX translations, we ask you to be the leader of the Dutch team and do the translation for this glossary"

So, because I am experienced I have to do more work for less pay?????

I just replied that I am not working for free, and I gave them my hourly rate.
Even if most of the terms are in the TM, it is still work and you still have to check.
If they are not willing to pay, I am not working on this project (what will the next request be, if I agreed...)

PS: I just ran an analyses and there are more than 2500 no matches... since when do we accept 2500 words for free....

[Edited at 2005-04-16 06:00]

[Edited at 2005-04-16 06:07]

[Edited at 2005-04-16 07:52]

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Could be worse Apr 16, 2005

I was once sent a list of 600 words in relation to a job of 5,000, without any indication I was even going to get the text (context) of 5,000.

Paraphrasing the existential question of "Do I have bad breath?", this made me think, "Do I have high rates?"

And the next thing you know, your glossary is winging its way to cheaper competitors who don't know how to solve those terms. I just wondered if this wasn't being done to supplement Babelfish...

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 07:33
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot, folks! 8) Apr 16, 2005

Thank you very much for your feedback. The thing is I often give away short project specific glossaries, but it's normally done differently: I use Wordfast and fill the glossary as I go along my text, and the client is normally a bit more predictable.

The most persuading argument is (C) Graciela - 7 days of works are 7 days of work, one cannot argue with that.

I am not going to do it, partly because of what all earlier posters said and partly because even if I try to, the resulting glossary will very messy, worse than no glossary at all, which is not my idea of gaining a high reputation on the translation market. I'm quite surprised because the agency is quite nice and praised by quite a few fellow translators. Will try to find a peaceful way out of it, but, te be absolutely frank, now I do not know what to expect from the PM (you can imagine what that means for a freelancer).

Stay well
and once again,
thanks a lot for your help!

Alex

Pat Jenner
German to English
+ ...
Let them do it themselves Apr 16, 2005

As I see it they want you to go back through all previous translations you've done on this topic and create a glossary for their convenience. If they don't want to pay you, they presumably think that this does not involve any effort, in which case they can take care of it themselves. What a nerve.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is making a glossary a part of a standard project workflow?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search