options for payment from clients with offices outside US and/or those who pay in foreign currency
Thread poster: Fatima Argun

Fatima Argun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:50
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Apr 13

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get paid by foreign clients that don't have a US bank account, and/or pay in foreign currency? I have a few such clients (who use Paypal and Moneybookers, both notoriously expensive for such transactions). I typically lose about 8-9% off the top, with transfer fees and currency exchange fees combined. I'd rather find another option so that I am not forced to hand over my hard-earned money to someone else, just for the privilege of receiving it--and this is before taxes!!!

Has anyone worked with any other service that is reliable, reputable and easy to work with, that they would recommend? Would much appreciate some options.

Many thanks in advance!

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
Transferwise Apr 13

US clients and bank accounts are foreign, seen from where I am. Every place in the world is "foreign", depending on where you are.

Apart from that, TransferWise doesn't cost more than about 1%, but their service doesn't support all countries and currencies.

yinnyann  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:50
Spanish to French
+ ...
Payoneer Apr 17

Hi Fatima,

I am using Payoneer: clients pay you in $ or € and you can withdraw the money on the local bank account of your choice. The bank account checking takes some time as well as every transfer to your local account / money.

The transfer and exchange fees are quite good for me and results better than transferwise.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

options for payment from clients with offices outside US and/or those who pay in foreign currency

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search