Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Indian Agencies are bad payers....
Thread poster: Ramesh Kulandaivelu

Ramesh Kulandaivelu  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:04
Member
English to Tamil
+ ...
Aug 10

... I just wanted to warn you people about these agencies... here people jump over me. Good.

[Edited at 2018-08-11 08:18 GMT]


Joe Ly Sien
Mikhail Popov
 

Robin Levey
Chile
Local time: 09:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Indian Agencies are bad payers … Aug 11

Is that (intended as):
a) A statement of fact?
b) A straightforward question? (in which case, a '?' wouldn’t go amiss).
c) A rhetorical question? (again, a '?' would not be superfluous).

Oh, and bye the way: to what “industry” are you referring in your penultimate sentence?

Also bye the way, I see on your profile (quote, verbatim):
French to English
German to English
Malayalam to English
Hindi to English


Teacher to class: “Can any of you say just one word that means the exact opposite of what the dictionary says it means?
Billy (raising hand in polite deference to teacher’s superior rank): “Yeah!

RL


 

EvaVer  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:34
Member (2012)
Czech to English
+ ...
No surprise Aug 11

Why are you so, well, critical, not to say nasty, Robin? He wants to complain, and he is warning us at the same time. In fact, I have never ventured into working for an Indian agency (or any Asian agencies at all, except maybe from places like Hongkong), when I see an agency is located there, it's a no-no. The trouble for Ramesh is, he lives there.
Ramesh, do you have the option of working for agencies outside India? I mean, are there any government restrictions that would prevent you from receiving foreign payments for example? I don't think so, as it seems to work the other way around - Indian agencies are always fishing for naive translators all over the world. I would certainly look for clients elsewhere.


Ramesh Kulandaivelu
Joe Ly Sien
Ra in Kim
Mirko Mainardi
José Henrique Lamensdorf
Irina Stevanovic
Robert Forstag
 

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:34
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Mruphy's law in action Aug 11

"Also bye the way, I see on your profile (quote, verbatim):
French to English..."


But to address the OP's query, I agree with the previous poster that it may make sense, if possible, to look for clients outside India. I too never work with Indian agencies, for exactly that reason. In fact, I apply pretty much the same criteria to UK agencies. In my experience, they also tend to pay badly and not on time!

[Edited at 2018-08-11 08:15 GMT]


Ricardo Suin
Josephine Cassar
José Henrique Lamensdorf
 

Ramesh Kulandaivelu  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:04
Member
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
just an alert Aug 11

I just wanted to alert only.....

 

Omar Lobao  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:34
Member (2009)
Italian to Portuguese
+ ...
Just like that... Aug 11

I don't work with Indian and Chinese agencies.

The rates are very low, the payment agreement are absurd (and not respected).

The relation with the PM are very difficult...

So.... why to loose time with this?

And it's not a question of "racism"... it's a question of: respect, law, work rights etc.

P.S. - Once i send a CV to an Indian company to a big project. The PM purposed me 0,01€/word. I just said: "This slavery". He start to insult me... just to see the mentality of this people (they want to be rich... with your work)


Ramesh Kulandaivelu
Vladimir Filipenko
Ra in Kim
Mikhail Popov
José Henrique Lamensdorf
 

David GAY  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
thank you Aug 11

Thank you for the courage you have to say such a thing.
In France, you would almost be put in jail for daring such a statement
and be accused of racism! Brave new democracy!

[Modifié le 2018-08-11 11:58 GMT]


Baran Keki
José Henrique Lamensdorf
 

Roy Chacón  Identity Verified
Colombia
Member
English to Spanish
Not an absolute truth... Aug 11

This is not true for every Indian or Asian agency. I happen to work, and have worked for, very good ones, with good rates and always paying on time.

I've also worked many times for French, English, German and many other, non Asian or Indian, nonpaying and abusive agencies.

I guess it depends on your due diligence.


Chris S
Daryo
José Henrique Lamensdorf
Kuochoe Nikoi
 

David GAY  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
not my experience Aug 11

JaneD wrote:

"Also bye the way, I see on your profile (quote, verbatim):
French to English..."


But to address the OP's query, I agree with the previous poster that it may make sense, if possible, to look for clients outside India. I too never work with Indian agencies, for exactly that reason. In fact, I apply pretty much the same criteria to UK agencies. In my experience, they also tend to pay badly and not on time!

[Edited at 2018-08-11 08:15 GMT]


I work for agencies in the UK which are very good agencies and have always paid me immediately after
I delivered the work, which is quite rare. But in the UK, there are a lot of agencies that are run by foreigners who live in the UK.

[Modifié le 2018-08-11 15:53 GMT]


José Henrique Lamensdorf
 

Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 15:34
Member
English to Turkish
+ ...
BB records of Indian/Asian agencies Aug 12

Then how can you explain the glowing ratings/reviews of European & North American translators you see on the BB records of Indian and Chinese translation agencies? Those people don't work for cheap as they live in very 'expensive' countries. Could it be that the Indian agencies pay European translators a lot more than their Asian counterparts? Can you imagine a Finnish or Dutch translator working for 0.03 USD per word and leaving awesome feedback? Could there be a reverse discrimination here?

 

David GAY  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
it's possible Aug 12

Baran Keki wrote:

Then how can you explain the glowing ratings/reviews of European & North American translators you see on the BB records of Indian and Chinese translation agencies? Those people don't work for cheap as they live in very 'expensive' countries. Could it be that the Indian agencies pay European translators a lot more than their Asian counterparts? Can you imagine a Finnish or Dutch translator working for 0.03 USD per word and leaving awesome feedback? Could there be a reverse discrimination here?

It's a fact that there are translators who live in expensive countries who accept very low rates (mainly newbies or.translators who can't find better agencies). Some translators behave like valets. and also try to collect a lot of WWAs and are looking for references.
The fact that they give a good rating may be explained by the Stockholm syndrome. You are right, an Indian translator may be paid 1.5 cent per word, whereas a translator based in an expensive country may receive 0.03 USD but the cost of living is hardly comparable... But it all depends on the price they can get from the translation. As a rule, an Indian translator only works for the local market where the rates are the lowest. By the way, I don't agree with the idea that Indian translators shouldn't translate into English, because English is one of the official languages of India. So in my opinion, they are native speakers of English
(Indian variant), even if their English differs quite a bit from the official English.

It's also a fact that they also work with immigrants in Western countries who tend to accept much lower rates (I've just seen the BB of an Indian agency presenting this feature.


[Modifié le 2018-08-12 20:35 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-08-12 20:46 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-08-12 20:51 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-08-12 21:00 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-08-12 21:01 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-08-12 21:01 GMT]


 

Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:34
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Generalisation Aug 12

In my book, being a bad payer means paying late or not paying at all. Low rates is something else. Rates are negotiated in advance, and you can either accept them, either refuse. As simple as that.

Ra in Kim
Bomi Rosiji
José Henrique Lamensdorf
Vadim Kadyrov
Kuochoe Nikoi
Balvir Chand
 

Bomi Rosiji  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:34
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Lower rates ? Aug 13

David GAY wrote:

Baran Keki wrote:

Then how can you explain the glowing ratings/reviews of European & North American translators you see on the BB records of Indian and Chinese translation agencies? Those people don't work for cheap as they live in very 'expensive' countries. Could it be that the Indian agencies pay European translators a lot more than their Asian counterparts? Can you imagine a Finnish or Dutch translator working for 0.03 USD per word and leaving awesome feedback? Could there be a reverse discrimination here?

It's a fact that there are translators who live in expensive countries who accept very low rates (mainly newbies or.translators who can't find better agencies). Some translators behave like valets. and also try to collect a lot of WWAs and are looking for references.
The fact that they give a good rating may be explained by the Stockholm syndrome. You are right, an Indian translator may be paid 1.5 cent per word, whereas a translator based in an expensive country may receive 0.03 USD but the cost of living is hardly comparable... But it all depends on the price they can get from the translation. As a rule, an Indian translator only works for the local market where the rates are the lowest. By the way, I don't agree with the idea that Indian translators shouldn't translate into English, because English is one of the official languages of India. So in my opinion, they are native speakers of English
(Indian variant), even if their English differs quite a bit from the official English.

It's also a fact that they also work with immigrants in Western countries who tend to accept much lower rates (I've just seen the BB of an Indian agency presenting this feature.


[Modifié le 2018-08-12 20:35 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-08-12 20:46 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-08-12 20:51 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-08-12 21:00 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-08-12 21:01 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-08-12 21:01 GMT]


 

Bomi Rosiji  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:34
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Lower rates for different English Aug 13

Its is interesting you brought this up David.
Once you are dealing with international languages, you are already crossing international borders and rates should not be lower than in Europe or the US, nor should the quality of the translation be lower either. In Nigeria, translators of local languages such as Hausa to Yoruba are paid local rates whereas translators of French to English or Portuguese or Arabic are paid international rates. These Nigerian translators are native speakers of proper English and more often than not, they are working for the same clients as translators from the UK and USA, so the quality of their work must not be different. It is the responsibility of the employer to do due diligence to ensure he is getting quality work from a professional and not just someone that speaks some type of English. By its very nature, the translated document is likely to travel across borders and even outlive the translator. The quality of the English must therefore be acceptable by all native speakers of the language and we should not accept anything less. Payment should not be based on the cost of living of a country but on the value the of the product. So if an Indian translator can deliver a high quality translation (and I have met many Indians with a strong Oxford accent) then that has a value. We do not condone translations by non professionals delivering work that does not feel natural to an American or British reader.


 

Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:34
Serbian to English
+ ...
Not quite Aug 13

David GAY wrote:

JaneD wrote:

"Also bye the way, I see on your profile (quote, verbatim):
French to English..."


But to address the OP's query, I agree with the previous poster that it may make sense, if possible, to look for clients outside India. I too never work with Indian agencies, for exactly that reason. In fact, I apply pretty much the same criteria to UK agencies. In my experience, they also tend to pay badly and not on time!

[Edited at 2018-08-11 08:15 GMT]


I work for agencies in the UK which are very good agencies and have always paid me immediately after
I delivered the work, which is quite rare. But in the UK, there are a lot of agencies that are run by foreigners who live in the UK.

[Modifié le 2018-08-11 15:53 GMT]



"But in the UK, there are a lot of agencies that are run by foreigners who live in the UK"

Yes, and as a general rule that could apply to any type of business, unavoidably they also "imported" with them their own "business ethics" - but at the risk of bursting your bubble, my 20-odd year sample of living in London says that, while many of these are not much better that the agencies the OP warned about, some of them are the most professional I've ever seen.

When it comes to shifty penny pinching business, "agencies that are run by foreigners" are subjected to quite strong competition from "native English" businesses in that regard...

What makes the difference is the segment of the market you are operating in - if you offer good quality you are more likely to end up with clients who can recognise and value quality - in any market.


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Indian Agencies are bad payers....

Advanced search







WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search