https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/33236-client_possibly_inexperienced_is_asking_for_a_contract_from_me_what_can_i_do_about_this.html

Client (possibly inexperienced) is asking for a contract from me - what can I do about this?
Thread poster: Arben Seva
Arben Seva
Arben Seva  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:15
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Jun 10, 2005

I have a new client from the States that is offering me a job of large quantity. He is a direct client and my guess is that he doesn't have any experience on translation procedured.
However, he is asking for a contract from me. I am a litle bit confused, as normally I am the one who gets the contracts from the clients.
Any ideas what he means and what can I do about this?

Thank a lot

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-10 13:00]

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:15
English to German
+ ...
ATA Jun 10, 2005

Have a look at the ATA website

http://www.atanet.org/model_contract.htm

They have a model contract. This might be what you are looking for and what your client wants to sign with you.

HTH.

Sonja

Arben Seva
Arben Seva  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:15
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Jun 10, 2005

Thanks a lot.
However, I am not a member of ATA. Can I still use it?

Arben

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:15
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Model agreement Jun 10, 2005

Arben Seva wrote:

Thanks a lot.
However, I am not a member of ATA. Can I still use it?

Arben

Yes you may - it is a model agreement developed by the ATA in an attempt to even the playing field, but anyone may use it.

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:15
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dear Arben, Jun 10, 2005

YOu said that you think that the client does not have a lot of experience outsourcing work. Perhaps this is the reason why he/ she does not have an own contract.

I am also not a member of ATA and still use their sample contract. I like it; it is easy to use.

Please make sure that you put in it the time of delivery of the total job or parts thereof, time and method of payment.

Due to the fact that it is a large job, you might want to:

1. Ask f
... See more
YOu said that you think that the client does not have a lot of experience outsourcing work. Perhaps this is the reason why he/ she does not have an own contract.

I am also not a member of ATA and still use their sample contract. I like it; it is easy to use.

Please make sure that you put in it the time of delivery of the total job or parts thereof, time and method of payment.

Due to the fact that it is a large job, you might want to:

1. Ask for an advance
or
2 Set up payment in installments (clearly spell this out in the contract)- first one close to the beginning of the job, then another one towards the middle and another one towards the end with the final one no later than 30 days after delivery.

Good luck and congratulations with the job!
Lucinda
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client (possibly inexperienced) is asking for a contract from me - what can I do about this?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »