Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8]
Discrimination based on national origin and native language in ProZ ads
Thread poster: lumierre

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
interpreting Apr 14

Eliza, and how about lawyers asking, say, a child "Do you feel more like a boy or a girl?"--Of course, with the legal effect and consequences.

I happen know several foreigners who moved to our country as adults some 25-30 years ago. They learned our traditions, habits, and the language so well, that many natives think they also were born here. Indeed, they could do the job as a native, yet they neither consider themselves to be almost* natives, nor pretend to be ones, because they just don't feel themselves as natives.

Newbies often pose themselves as pros, whereas real pros count their level as 'medium' in the framework.


However, it still goes beyond the topic of alleged discrimination, because according to the contract law, I legally can state, say, only a slim long-legged blue-eyed white natural French blonde from Germany, about 71" and under 145 pounds, aged 18-25, with type O Rh D negative blood, and so on--makes an eligible candidate. That's it.

Why, one could even demand specific requirements and certain [even ridiculous!] features like being nulliparous, speaking the Klingon language, or having elven ears)


 

Jan Truper
Germany
Local time: 00:33
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
somewhat OT Apr 14

My two cents on nativeness in language:

1) I once heard a native speaker of US English utter the phrase "I gots to get it did."

2) This is the internet. I'm native Klingon.


 

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
It's called being funny. A sense of humour Apr 14

Jan Truper wrote:

My two cents on nativeness in language:

1) I once heard a native speaker of US English utter the phrase "I gots to get it did."
.


That's what I does thinks


Elizabeth Tamblin
Roni_S
 

Jan Truper
Germany
Local time: 00:33
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
... Apr 15

writeaway wrote:

Jan Truper wrote:

My two cents on nativeness in language:

1) I once heard a native speaker of US English utter the phrase "I gots to get it did."
.


That's what I does thinks


It was actually a hardcore case of vernacular English.

icon_smile.gif


 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:33
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Darn Apr 15

Jan Truper wrote:

writeaway wrote:

Jan Truper wrote:

My two cents on nativeness in language:

1) I once heard a native speaker of US English utter the phrase "I gots to get it did."
.


That's what I does thinks


It was actually a hardcore case of vernacular English.

icon_smile.gif


You're darn tootin'!


 
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8]


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discrimination based on national origin and native language in ProZ ads

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search