Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 16, 2005

I recently received the following e-mail through Pro-z:

-----------
You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.
Author: dan noah
[NOTE: The author is not a ProZ.com member or was not logged in when sending this message.] Author's IP address: 192.116.134.62
-----------

SIR

WE REPRESENTS SOLAR ENERGY MANUFACTURER BASED IN FJUILA DRIVE, DUBAI,U.A.E.

MY CLIENT WHO IS A SPANISH ORIGIN,BUT DO NOT SPEAK IN ENGLISH.
NEEDS AN ASSISTANCE ON LANGUAGE INTERPRETATION OR TRANSLATION INTO ENGLISH,BECAUSE OF HIS APPOINTMENT WITH COUPLE OF BUSINESSMEN IN YOUR COUNTRY.
THANKS

MANAGER

DAN NOAH

I replied indicating my rates and asking for dates of service.
Several e-mails went back and forth between us, until I asked the prospective client for advanced payment to reserve the days. I received the following answer:

De: deiraconsolidated deiraconsolidated [mailto:deiraconsolidated@yahoo.com]
Enviado el: Miércoles, 01 de Junio de 2005 21:29
Para: Ricardo Martinez
Asunto: RE: [ProZ.com Mail] interpreters or translators needed
Sir,
my client is interested with Rates for 1 day (8 hours, with 1 hour for lunch) US$ XXX.00
for 8 days $X,XXX,my client will also include an unforseen expensis budget of $2000 that might be incured in the process,it is what the company policy entails with foreign assignment.hope the arrangement is ok with you.
regards
Noah

That sounded fine to me, and I still insisted that I would need an advance retainer to reserve the interpreter. To which I received the following reply:

Enviado el: Domingo, 05 de Junio de 2005 18:42
I contacted my client with your Banking details,he instructed that he has a partner that will send certified cashiers cheque from the USA,because at this time he is on a business trip in Japan.hope to hear from you soon.
Noah

I didn’t think any more of it, until I read in May’s ATA Chronicle about a scam going around whereby people reserve an interpreter and advance a cashier’s check in excess of the amount required. Then, suddenly, the con artist cancels the job because of an emergency and asks the interpreter to give him a personal check to reimburse the amount paid. The interpreter is asked to keep a small amount to cover incidental expenses. Since cashiers check generally take a week or two to clear, by the time the bank notifies that the cashier’s check is no good, the “client” has left and is nowhere to be found.

Because in this case the e-mail address was a yahoo.com address, I became suspicios and I sent Mr. Noa the following e-mail:

De: Ricardo Martinez [mailto:rmartin@clschile.com]
Enviado el: Martes, 14 de Junio de 2005 14:13
Para: 'deiraconsolidated deiraconsolidated'
Dear Mr. Noah:

I just wanted to let you know that we have not received payment of the deposit to reserve the interpreter for your client. Cashier or certified check take 2 weeks to clear banks here in Chile, therefore, that would not be an acceptable form of payment, unless your client can cash the check himself and then pay us. All this must occur Before services are rendered.

Thank you in advance,

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre

I immediately receive the following e-mail

Enviado el: Martes, 14 de Junio de 2005 18:42
Thank you, my client has found another interpreter.
Noah

Was this a scam? I don’t know, but if you are in the same situation, beware that this is a problem going around.

Regards,
Ricardo

Direct link Reply with quote

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:44
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
A Genuine Scam Jun 16, 2005

See another similar thread http://www.proz.com/post/212412#212412

Monika

[Edited at 2005-06-16 23:14]

Timothy Barton
Local time: 20:44
French to English
+ ...
Can they not think of a more original idea? Jun 17, 2005

We always get the "wife and children story". Can't they think of something more original?

Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:44
Member (2004)
English to French
It really does get tiresome Jun 17, 2005

I often receive similar scams (Nigerian letters), but that have nothing to do with interpreting. They probably think people don't speak to each other by email. I tried to write them to tell them they're loosing their time and people around the world are quite aware they're trying to rip us off. Well, they still try to persuade me that it's for real. I don't bother answering any more.

Nina

Santiago Hersch  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you know anything about this one? Aug 29, 2005

Nina Khmielnitzky wrote:

I often receive similar scams (Nigerian letters), but that have nothing to do with interpreting. They probably think people don't speak to each other by email. I tried to write them to tell them they're loosing their time and people around the world are quite aware they're trying to rip us off. Well, they still try to persuade me that it's for real. I don't bother answering any more.

Nina

Hi Nina, I would like to know if you ever received something like this. I \m in doubt because the firm has a real website. Thanks

Hi dear ,
How are you doing? I hope you are just fine. I am Mr Forster Jetto a Mechanical Engineer and Director of Jagermeister Industry Nigeria. I am writing this mail to you on behalf of our Industry in Nigeria for your translation assistance. We are seeking for a capable individual or Company that can translate our business documents writtten in a foreign language into an Understandable English text .The documents for translation are written in Spanish. Please my dear acknowledge this message and present to me your rate for translating one word .The documents are financial and commercial text documents only.Please get back as soon as posssible.

Best regards,

Mr Forster Jetto

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Genuine or scam? Beware just in case

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search