Queries about travel in EU
Thread poster: Roomy Naqvy

Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:05
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jun 17, 2002

Dear Colleagues,

Few queries:

1. I want to know the countries that a Schengen Visa covers. It would be nice if I can be referred to official EU websites.

2. I would like to plan a trip in Europe and would like to know train services connecting Italy to Austria as also Germany and France.

3. Does a Europe without borders or a Schengen Visa mean that I just have to get that visa to say, Italy and then I can travel without transit/tourist visa all over the EU? Where do I get information to confirm this belief?

Thanks and Regards

Roomy Naqvy


Parrot  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Here you are, Roomy! Jun 17, 2002


We\'ll wait for you! icon_smile.gif


Agua  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Info below :-) Jun 17, 2002

The Shengen countries are: Spain, Germany, Austria, Belgium, France, Greece, Holland, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark, according to the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The URL is http://www.mae.es, and I think they do have an English version, otherwise, just let me know and I will find out. I think it is better not to get a visa for Italy, but to get a Schengen visa directly, that allows you to go all over the place.

As for train travel, my guess is they change from time to time, so you can contact the Tourist Office Website of the places, or the train companies, I can try to find out more.

Good luck,


P.S. I almost forgot: you should request the Schengen visa from the embassy/consulate of the country of entry to Europe or the one in which you will stay the longest.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-17 21:28 ]


Marisapad  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:35
English to Italian
+ ...
and here you go Jun 17, 2002


this is the official site of the Italian Railway that connects all Italian towns to Austria and Germany and also to France, Switzerland etc.

There you can consult the timetable, ask for connections and travel plans and also see the different costs.

Good Luck and have a nice journey!



Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:35
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Some links.... Jun 17, 2002

Hi Roomy,

Here a Google link with some useful links about the Schengen visa.


\"Since 26th March 1995, a new type of visa - the Schengen Visa - has been introduced by the following member-states of the European Union who are signatories of the Schengen Agreement: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden. You might be interested to know that the treaty acquired its name from the Luxembourg village of Schengen on the Moselle, bordering both France and Germany, where the Agreement was signed.

If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of that country.

If you intend to visit several Schengen countries without having a main destination, you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the first country that requires you to have a visa.

The following documentation must be provided:

A passport or official travel document accepted by the Schengen countries and valid for at least three months longer than the validity of the visa with a blank page to affix the visa sticker.

Note: if the validity of a passport or official travel document is restricted to only a few Schengen countries, it is still possible to issue a visa. Its validity will, however, be limited only to the countries which accept the passport or official travel document.

One (1) application form duly completed and signed by the applicant with two (2) passport size photographs.

Proof of the purpose of your visit. This proof should take the form of an official letter of invitation from your host or business partner and a confirmed onward or return ticket (to be shown only once visa is granted) and, where applicable, a confirmed hotel booking.

Evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover the cost of your intended stay (e.g. traveller cheques, credit cards or bank statement).

Evidence of medical insurance coverage for the Schengen countries (e.g. E111 form, available from any Post Office, if you are the spouse of an EU-citizen or if you are travelling on a passport or official travel document issued by the British authorities or private health insurance or travel insurance valid for the time of your proposed stay).

A letter from your employer or, if you are self-employed, from your solicitor, accountant or the Chamber of Commerce. Business references may also be required. If you are a student, please submit a letter from the school, college or university confirming attendance. Depending on the circumstances of your application, you may be requested to produce further documentation.


The cost of a Schengen visa depends, at present, on the tariff as laid down by the issuing country.

Here a couple of addresses in New Delhi:

New Delhi - Ambasciata d\'Italia

Amb. Benedetto Amari

50, Chandra Gupta Marg Chanakyapuri - N.D. 110021

Tel. 009111 6114355

Fax 6873889

E-mail: italemb@del3.vsnl.net.in

Home Page: http://www.italembdelhi.com

Consulate-General and Honorary Consul


Consulate-General of the Federal Republic of Germany

Consul-General: Ulf Hanel


49, Ethiraj Road, MICO Building Chennai - 600 015

Postal adress:

Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany, P.O. Box 6801, Chennai 600 105, Indien.

Tel. (0091-44)827 17 47 oder 827 35 93 or 827 76 37

FAX (0091-44) 827 35 42

E-Mail: gercons@md3.vsnl.net.in

Here some more details about short-term Schengen visa:


I wish you a nice stay in Europe.



[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-17 21:46 ]


Ursula Derx  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:35
Member (2005)
English to German
Train schedule from and to Austria Jun 18, 2002

Just use the train schedule on the page of the Oesterreichische Bundesbahnen - it gives all train schedules from and to neighbouring countries - hope you speak enough German icon_smile.gif) - You have to use the German version: Fahrplanabfrage

Here is the link: http://www.oebb.at


Raffaella Cornacchini  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:35
English to Italian
+ ...
further news for your stay in Italy Jun 18, 2002

another interesting site is


which is the official site of the Italian tourist board. There you can find info on accomodation and cultural events.

have a nice stay...



Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:35
English to Croatian
+ ...
Check this site... Jun 18, 2002

...for (almost) all fares and schedules in Europe.


Have a nice trip!


C Greene  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:35
English to French
For France Jun 18, 2002

Hello Roomy,

This might help you a bit as far as France is concerned:

For train services see:


There you can check timetables etc.

The following site may or may not be helpful:


HTH and have a pleasant journey


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Queries about travel in EU

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search